175/70-13 - $37 shipped!

I hadta look at this TWICE... you really don't want a 70 series!

175/70's are a bit too tall for the front end... no problem for the rear.

If these are for an X1/9... I would try to STOP or CANCEL the order! Sorry Rob, I hope it is not too late.

They will tend to hit the fender well near the rocker panel especially when backing and turning... Their contact patch is about the same, but the 60 series is about 1 1/2 inches shorter in overall height.

The STOCK 165/70 is a little more than 1/2 inch SHORTER than the 175/70's you ordered. Apparently the 1/4 inch makes all the difference when it comes to that fender well issue.

Here is a Tire-Size calculator for you to see what I am taking about...

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

I did some peeking around that site as well and found NO other 13 inch tires available...

HTH...

CALL THEM NOW at 877-382-2007! WHOOPS!

Never mind... my apologies to Cheryl for calling at 0716 this morning... You are apparently fully aware of all the attributes of these tires.

Sorry!

But for everyone else enjoying this post... Rob CONFIRMS everything I said. He's running a 4 inch wide rim and this makes the tire work a bit better, but they still will rub a bit up front.

Tire size

With the general availability of the equally inexpensive and well performing Achilles 185/60-13's from tires-easy, why would you want to look elsewhere?

Ed

Tires rubbing

I haven't looked into this, but cound the issue with rubbing be solved by adding a wider spacer in the front?
Wound the space be too far out? Has anyone looked into this?

Never mind... my apologies to Cheryl for calling at 0716 this morning... You are apparently fully aware of all the attributes of these tires.

Sorry!

But for everyone else enjoying this post... Rob CONFIRMS everything I said. He's running a 4 inch wide rim and this makes the tire work a bit better, but they still will rub a bit up front.

Tony Tony Tony.... now I know first hand why they call you "papa Tony". Haha

The car has 175/70 on it already and the car is at stock ride height with fender liners intact. The rubbing is so slight its almost a non issue, but I do have extra spacers and longer bolts so I might try adding a set for ****zandgiggles.

And something else to consider here as well... not all tires of a same given size are the same size. A 175 tire does not mean it's exactly 175mm wide at its widest point... it's more like 170 to 179mm, so where one 175 tire might rub, another brand of 175 might clear.

Last edited:
I had Pirelli P400 175/70/13's on my '78, on Momo 5" magnesium wheels - they fit fine, cleared the front without any additional spacers. My car was lowered and sat level (modified front springs, the springs were performance ones from Vicks).

I just ordered a set of 5 Yokohama A-539's in 185/60/13 from Demon Tweeks UK. Works out to about $165 CAD with tax per tire, so about $131 USD (which includes our 13% sales tax). Shipping was the expensive part. You have to email demontweeks directly for these tires, as I didn't see them listed on the website. They only fit a minimum 5" wheel.

They're a summer only performance tire, and they stick quite nicely.

They're picking me the freshest set they can find, and I'll have them mounted at a Fiat dealership using a Hunter Road Force balancer.

I have a set that have a 2006 production date 185/60/13s Yokohama A539, brand new - stored indoors and tightly sealed in bags. I "may" sell these, so if there's someone local that would be interested.. send me a shout. (I'm in Toronto, ON Canada). I bought a fresh set to replace my old A539s, which unfortunately were not round since day one (arghh!).

Bob,

After moving up to the 195/45/15 tires on the old Bird, I was ok until I hit a 180 deg. turn with a bump and felt a little rubbing up front. I REMOVED the front spacers to pull the tires in so they clear the wheel wells and everything seems to be fine since then.

I'm running the Federals and I'm disappointed to see the other reviews. When they need replacing I guess I'll have to look for something else.

Mike

After moving up to the 195/45/15 tires on the old Bird, I was ok until I hit a 180 deg. turn with a bump and felt a little rubbing up front. I REMOVED the front spacers to pull the tires in so they clear the wheel wells and everything seems to be fine since then.

I'm running the Federals and I'm disappointed to see the other reviews. When they need replacing I guess I'll have to look for something else.

Mike

I think the wheel offset of your 15" wheels might come into play here, as well as brand to brand tire width. I'm running 195/45-15 on the front, with a 29mm offset wheel and a true 5mm spacer. With that combo, the rub spot in on the inner wheelhouse toward the rear of the axle line. I have no clearance issues around the front wheel arches.

Tires arrived today - quick shipping indeed!
I weighed a tire and it's 14.4 lbs (light! :) ), and they're made in China (no surprise there)

Ya know Rob... I thought the Achilles (heel) brand name...

would be a little bit rhetorical, but so far they are not. I didn't weigh mine though, so I have no idea what is there or what is missing!

I Googled Achilles to learn more about why anyone would name a tire after him...

In Greek mythology, Achilles (/əˈkɪlz/; Ancient Greek: Ἀχιλλεύς, Akhilleus, pronounced [akʰilːéu̯s]) was a Greek hero of the Trojan War and the central character and greatest warrior of Homer's Iliad. His mother was the nymph Thetis, and his father, Peleus, was the king of the Myrmidons. Achilles’ most notable feat during the Trojan War was the slaying of the Trojan hero Hector outside the gates of Troy. Although the death of Achilles is not presented in the Iliad, other sources concur that he was killed near the end of the Trojan War by Paris, who shot him in the heel with an arrow. Later legends (beginning with a poem by Statius in the 1st century AD) state that Achilles was invulnerable in all of his body except for his heel. Because of his death from a small wound in the heel, the term Achilles' heel has come to mean a person's point of weakness.

I guess I need to stay away from Archery Ranges.

I then Googled Minerva, and this is the EARLIEST description I found...

Minerva (Etruscan: Menrva) was the Roman goddess of wisdom and sponsor of arts, trade, and strategy. She was born with weapons from the head of Jupiter.[1] Jupiter had sex with his sister Metis and impregnated her. Fearing that their child would grow stronger than him and rule the Heavens in his place, Jupiter ripped the child from her womb and devoured it and Minerva was born from his forehead. From the 2nd century BC onwards, the Romans equated her with the Greek goddess Athena.[2] She was the virgin goddess of music, poetry, medicine, wisdom, commerce, weaving, crafts, and magic.[3] She is often depicted with her sacred creature, an owl usually named as the "owl of Minerva",[4] which symbolizes that she is connected to wisdom.

I dunno... but I think I would watch for "bulges" in this tire... no matter how strong or "wise" it is!

Also of note... a lot of weird sex going on back then, much like today, I think. My only real window to the world is though the Jerry Springer Show though...

175/70's are a bit too tall for the front end... no problem for the rear.

If these are for an X1/9... I would try to STOP or CANCEL the order! Sorry Rob, I hope it is not too late.

They will tend to hit the fender well near the rocker panel especially when backing and turning... Their contact patch is about the same, but the 60 series is about 1 1/2 inches shorter in overall height.

The STOCK 165/70 is a little more than 1/2 inch SHORTER than the 175/70's you ordered. Apparently the 1/4 inch makes all the difference when it comes to that fender well issue.

Here is a Tire-Size calculator for you to see what I am taking about...

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

I did some peeking around that site as well and found NO other 13 inch tires available...

HTH...

I have used 175/70/13's for over 30 years on my 1975, 128 Fiat and since 1999 on my X19's with no problems. There is a slight rub on the front of the plastic fender liner but it doesn't interfere with lock to lock. With out the liner there is no touching. Both cars set lower than stock. Not saying the tire size is best just that they have worked for me. As a side note I was replacing the struts on my wife's 02 dodge and noticed where the tires slightly rubbed the fender liner with the recommended size tire.

With the general availability of the equally inexpensive and well performing Achilles 185/60-13's from tires-easy, why would you want to look elsewhere?

Ed

my 13 x 4.5" steel wheels make 185/60-13's fit the rim like Donatella Versase's lips fit her face.
Not the Italian look I am after. :p

donatella_versace.jpg

Last edited:
I tried 175/70's this week since they were the only thing immediately available.

I can confirm serious rubbing on my 86 X. 185/60's on the way.

Rob, is that one of

(fill in your favorite or most detested X-web members name's) girl friends?

Anyway, my 195/45/15 tires were fine for a couple of months until I got a little rubbing under what I consider to be extreme conditions, a 180 deg. turn at speed and hitting a bump. They seem to be fine after removing the inner spacer to give a little wheel well clearance and I enjoy the better cornering with wider tires. The total wheel + tire diameter is the same but the width is different. For normal driving, probably no changes would have been necessary, but how many of us drive normally???

Mike

Tony,

If your only real window to the world is the Jerry Springer show, we need to talk. That's an express train to being a sick puppy.:)

Mike

......just what the hell is our ol' mate Tony N. drinkin' these days?? :eyepop:

cheers, Ian - NZ

I dunno but whatever it is he better avoid sobriety checkpoints :sun:

On a more serious note, I just had the 175/70-13 Minerva tires mounted up on my '78 with 13x4.5" steelies and I have good news to report... there is ZERO rubbing at lock in either forward or backward, left or right! These Minervas evidently run on the smaller side of 175/70 so there is no tire to inner wheelhouse rubbing.

UPDATE: I just finished a string alignment (w/ toe plates as confirmation) to 1/4" front and rear toe in and she rides like new. 32 psi in the fronts, 38psi in the rears, and at the limit she 4 wheel drifts thru the traffic circle (just don't lift the throttle too much ;) ).

So... anyone needing some cheap all season 13's for their stock wheels - buy these and be happy!

Last edited:
Ian,

I think he must have switched to something like Oakite. I've seen the stuff eat the baked on crud off of hotel/restaurant flat pans faster than a fly on dog doo-doo.:)

Mike

Yep, that's what he will be scoffin'......!

...Oakite. I've seen the stuff eat the baked on crud off of hotel/restaurant flat pans faster than a fly on dog doo-doo.:)....

....we all know what them "Eyetalian stallion" guts's can survive from over all those years! All that pasta and spaghetti, with Oakite sauce - yuk! :eat:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Back