I like this exhaust...

fiatmonkey

Tim Hoover
This is an aftermarket exhaust for the 500 Abarth/T that looks small enough to easily fit into the X19 exhaust area. I am strongly considering upgrading to it on the X
http://www.neu-f.com/303/0/0/2979/nf3001-neuf-abarth-performance-exhaust.html#popUp[products]/0/

I found this video demonstrating the exhaust COMPARED to the stock 500 Abarth exhaust. Sounds pretty cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ovPZz-Zmqg

Here is just the NEU-F exhaust (aftermarket)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6WzwJz6lyQ

I think this would sound very nice on the X.

Well... I am a bit handicapped here as my hearing...

is accentuated by $8000 dollars worth of Phonak hearing aids...

BUT... I could hardly HEAR a difference... the NEU-F exhaust is a bit mellower but for $650 bucks... not enough for me to spend my hard-earned Social Security on it.

There had better be about a 15% power increase along with mileage for that kinda money... IMOHO...

is accentuated by $8000 dollars worth of Phonak hearing aids...

BUT... I could hardly HEAR a difference... the NEU-F exhaust is a bit mellower but for $650 bucks... not enough for me to spend my hard-earned Social Security on it.

There had better be about a 15% power increase along with mileage for that kinda money... IMOHO...

I think you missed MY point there Tony. It DOES sound a lot like the Abarth which BTW, I absolutely love the sound of. If it could make that noise with the X, that would be sweet. Of course we are talking completely different engine internals, etc.,

$, that is a another story. I certainly wouldn't replace my stock exhaust with this one. I don't think it can make more HP than the Abarth exhaust too.

Indeed I did... I was so excited to hear the video...

I missed the part about installing it on the X. I thought you were gonna install it on your 500! (... or is that HER 500?)

I'm not sure how well it would work on an X. The Abarth has a turbo which is already quite a muffler of its own.

Xhaust system

The X1/9 has a problem with exhaust systems and resonance that turns into a head pounding drone at about 3200 rpm to about 4000 rpm. I have played with after market systems and just can't stand to drive the car.

I built my own system with 1 magnaflow chambered muffler and was forced to install a second muffler.

As stated the turbo charger kills a lot of the noise. Also what are the centres between the tips? The Abarth/Fiat 500 is a wider car body than the X, some trimming and welding may be required.

TonyK.

Tok some measurements of a Miata dual outlet muffler. Not sure if it would fit havent got around to some initial checking

I agree w/TonyK. Many Allison's customers really appreciate the power improvement but not the drone that seems to come with it. In my case I have a cat, muffler, and insert to tame mine and it's still louder than stock but not too bad.

Looking at the photos shown on the site, not a lot of muffler in that system. In addition, the 500 has a long pipe from the exahust manifold to this system where a resonance tube and/or cat could be used but we don't have that luxury on the X :)

I'm not sure how well it would work on an X. The Abarth has a turbo which is already quite a muffler of its own.

I recall someone had installed an abarth exhaust on a 500 (non turbo'd) car. Maybe it was Zonker? Be nice to know how it sounds. I did a little experiment and connected my suitcase abarth exhaust to my k20 (well, sort of "held" the pipes together) and instantly got that sweet abarth sound. I will record it next time. The suitcase of course will not work since it is simply too big and heavy to fit on the x.

I recall someone had installed an abarth exhaust on a 500 (non turbo'd) car. Maybe it was Zonker? Be nice to know how it sounds. I did a little experiment and connected my suitcase abarth exhaust to my k20 (well, sort of "held" the pipes together) and instantly got that sweet abarth sound. I will record it next time. The suitcase of course will not work since it is simply too big and heavy to fit on the x.

My exhaust playings involved removing the rear muffler on my 500 Pop and installing a straight pipe with resonated tip. The sound was very Abarth like, almost imitating the 500 Abarth sound. Some vids I did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu4dRqlPVRI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO8Cg5YDpd8

The stock 500 Pop is factory equipped with a manifold mounted catalytic convertor, a very large resonator below the front seats, and a rear muffler, so the muffling being done is comparable to a 500 Abarth, which also has a catalyst, but no resonator - because the turbo itself doen an effective job of silencing the sound a bit.

As for your X, which muffler you choose will have a lot to do with whether or not you are using a catalytic convertor. What muffler may sound good on a car with a cat can sound terrible on one without.

All very good points made. I don't run a cat on this car and it is the k20a2 engine. It would be a lot of $ to spend on a risk it won't work perform or even sound all that great.

I agree w/TonyK. Many Allison's customers really appreciate the power improvement but not the drone that seems to come with it. In my case I have a cat, muffler, and insert to tame mine and it's still louder than stock but not too bad.

Looking at the photos shown on the site, not a lot of muffler in that system. In addition, the 500 has a long pipe from the exahust manifold to this system where a resonance tube and/or cat could be used but we don't have that luxury on the X :)

Back