Paging Jeff Stitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildWilly

True Classic
Hey guys, anyone live in the same area as Jeff? Haven't heard from him for 10 days on a sale item, starting to worry about him. Any updates appreciated. I hope he's OK.

He maybe on vacation? Another possibility is that his daily driver the trusty 128 wagon is down for some repair or modification, that could slow him down a bit. I am sure your parts will show up soon as I have always known Jeff to be very reliable. If he remains MIA for too long I will give him a ring.

I'm alive!

To (mis)quote Mark Twain: "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated". :dead:

I'm fine, it was just problems with my computer, which is my sole internet source (no smartphone/tablet/etc.). After nearly 2 weeks of trying to diagnose random & seemingly-unrelated problems, I finally got it all narrowed down to being the result of 3 viruses that my anti-virus software failed to detect, PLUS a randomly-failing main power supply unit (~18 years old, it served me well!). With no access to the email messages that were on my hard drive, I didn't have anyone's mailing/contact info, so shipping of packages was delayed. Sorry...

I finally installed a new power supply unit & new/different AVS, then had to reinstall my Windows OS, Mozilla browser/email & all the other programs that the viruses corrupted, then work out the software/hardware bugs/conflicts, etc. to get the computer back up & running smoothly - all in the wee hours of the night (instead of sleeping). Lost one hard drive to corruption, but managed to save the other - still better than having to buy a whole new system! (my current system & its parts are apparently now considered "obsolete" :rolleyes2:).

As an "Update" for all those concerned: all parts order packages have since been shipped, except for 2-3 of the X1/9 brake reservoir kits (I have to fabricate a few more of the metal adapter plates), which should be shipped Sunday/Monday at the latest. Richard's 850 Spider fenders have apparently arrived via Greyhound (good to hear!), Bill's CD91 wheels should arrive Wednesday/Thursday via Fed-Ex, & the X1/9 BRK's & other small parts should arrive via USPS within a week or so depending on their destination. :)

Last edited:
Jeff

as an IT guy I see this a lot. Here's some (free) software I'd recommend you download and run every week in addition to your new A/V. A/V by itself isn't enough to prevent issues like you describe.

Malwarebytes
Spybot Search and Destroy
CCleaner
Slimcleaner
Auslogics Disk Defrag (run last)

You might want to look at System Mechanic too. It may be for pay now though.

Running these each week will clean up garbage files, prevent malware and optimize your hard drive.

Hope this helps, your expertise has helped me many times, thought I'd help return the favor :)

I will ship you all my old parts

Hi Jeff,

I have lots of old PC parts and even complete PCs sitting on a shelf. I was just getting ready to take them to a recycler. Instead I will box them up and send them your way. You will never run out of parts and could even have a few spare PCs are the house. HA! ;)

WOW!

You should do two things NOW.

1. Send that crap to the Smithsonian, gather up $450, and pick up a 4th Gen Core i3 Windows 8.1 touchscreen laptop

2. Start using your email provider's webmail interface instead of a traditional computer-based email client (or at the VERY least, tick the "Leave a copy of messages on the server" checkbox)

WOW!
2. Start using your email provider's webmail interface instead of a traditional computer-based email client (or at the VERY least, tick the "Leave a copy of messages on the server" checkbox)

Straying off-topic, but: Many e-mail providers, including Gmail and Yahoo have IMAP servers, so you can use your favorite mail client (as long as it supports IMAP) and not worry about your hard drive having the only copy of e-mails. Just use the IMAP server instead of the POP server.

WOW!

You should do two things NOW.

1. Send that crap to the Smithsonian, gather up $450, and pick up a 4th Gen Core i3 Windows 8.1 touchscreen laptop

Most of the "crap" system I have is circa 2001-2004, but the power supply unit, CD-ROM, 3.5" floppy & 1(!)GB hard drive (now dead) are mid/late 1990's parts that were recycled from my previous computer. This system has served me well with very few issues for the last 7-8 years. It also doubles as my home (studio) entertainment system with a 22" widescreen & a nice 5.1 surround-sound system (5 speakers + amp/sub unit) which cost me a mere $150 combined. Why replace it if all it needed was a new $35 power unit?

I will admit that I was tempted to just go ahead & build another desktop unit when I was checking out all the new components (MoBo/Processor/HD/DVD/Case/etc.) while at Fry's. Might still happen, just not yet. :hmm:

As for a laptop, a friend of mine has a nice lightly-used Toshiba Satellite that I might be able to get for a song if I'm patient (while he picks out a replacement). :grin:

Yeah, the Webmail access to previous messages would've worked if I'd used that checkbox, but seeing how my home computer is pretty much my sole internet source (daily use), I didn't have it set up that way.

Some Constructive Counter-Thoughts

Gamers and media content creators aside, there's almost no economic justification for building you own computer anymore, especially if it's just an internet box (mail, browsing, entertainment, streaming video). Go to Fry's, make a list of the parts, don't forget to include a modern OS, then total it up....just the parts are probably 50% more than what you could by a whole comparable box from a major manufacturer.

Components from 2001-2004 are seven generations behind in development!

A computer is a tool that helps you get a job done. Let's make a comparison......think of your toolbox in the garage. Imagine if all it had inside were a pair of pliers, two screwdrivers, and a set of six open end wrenches. No socket wrenches, stubby rachet handles, no flare nut wrenches, no test light, no multimeter, no 15 piece screwdriver assortment, no stick magnet......nuthin'. Yes you could still do work on cars, but WOW it would be so painful and time consuming and utterly frustrating to do so, right? And why? Because you haven't taken advantage of the advances in tools that make what you want to do sooooooo much easier and faster.

It's the same logic......why would you deliberately hobble your ability to accomplish those computer related tasks by suffering with old and slow when new and fast is readily and cheaply available?

Gamers and media content creators aside, there's almost no economic justification for building you own computer anymore, especially if it's just an internet box (mail, browsing, entertainment, streaming video). Go to Fry's, make a list of the parts, don't forget to include a modern OS, then total it up....just the parts are probably 50% more than what you could by a whole comparable box from a major manufacturer.

Components from 2001-2004 are seven generations behind in development!

A computer is a tool that helps you get a job done. Let's make a comparison......think of your toolbox in the garage. Imagine if all it had inside were a pair of pliers, two screwdrivers, and a set of six open end wrenches. No socket wrenches, stubby rachet handles, no flare nut wrenches, no test light, no multimeter, no 15 piece screwdriver assortment, no stick magnet......nuthin'. Yes you could still do work on cars, but WOW it would be so painful and time consuming and utterly frustrating to do so, right? And why? Because you haven't taken advantage of the advances in tools that make what you want to do sooooooo much easier and faster.

It's the same logic......why would you deliberately hobble your ability to accomplish those computer related tasks by suffering with old and slow when new and fast is readily and cheaply available?

Major Manufacturer's!

There exactly the reason why you buy the parts to build your own computer.
If you want to get the max out of a computer. You build your own. Has always been like that. Reason #1, Mainboards aren't repairable.
Onboard Video. If it burns out, You have a piece of useless garbage. Has always been that way. Ram memory.. Not upgradable past a certain point. Once you hit that point, Again renders there mainboards useless.

If i want I computer, I will build it myself!
You get the best and newest technology for the best price now. By building it yourself. Always been that way!

Gentlemen all... I think what is MORE important here...

is the LACK of communication that instills a level of distrust and hard feelings.

It's happened before. Maybe providing each other with phone numbers and calling when there is a problem would be a solution requiring no outlay of additional cash... plus... it would reinforce TRUST.

I'm going to formally "suggest" to the moderators that this becomes part of the FS&W Rules along with a City, State and Country note as on all future posts. It can be part of a Seller's signature line... and not necessary for all other posts. I think it is a small thing to require for the "privilege" of posting items for sale on this board.

Glad this incident is working out favorably.

This can be handled in a PM

is the LACK of communication that instills a level of distrust and hard feelings.

It's happened before. Maybe providing each other with phone numbers and calling when there is a problem would be a solution requiring no outlay of additional cash... plus... it would reinforce TRUST.

I'm going to formally "suggest" to the moderators that this becomes part of the FS&W Rules along with a City, State and Country note as on all future posts. It can be part of a Seller's signature line... and not necessary for all other posts. I think it is a small thing to require for the "privilege" of posting items for sale on this board.

Glad this incident is working out favorably.

IMHO: I don't see a need to require anyone to post their personal contact information in the open. Xweb is not a secure environment. Those personal contact details can be worked out between the interested parties via PM.

I agree with Jim, but at the same time

I also agree with Tony that it's a privilege to sell here and it's a courtesy to notify the person you are selling to if there are any unforeseen delays.

Taking someone's money and "not" contacting them with either a reason for delay or a scheduled delivery date is not good business practice.
It also brings about some bad feelings that can be easily avoided.

I personally don't want to put my contact information out in public (this is my choice) in order to post in FS&W and I shouldn't have to as long as the person I'm dealing with is satisfied with the transaction in a timely manor.

Please note I don't want this thread to turn into an area of complaint or bashing, but as a reminder to all that a little courtesy when selling can go a long way.

No worries.....

I'm glad the wheels have shipped. The guy who will be refinishing them can adjust his schedule.

I have also been in IT for almost 30 years (man I'm getting old) and at the risk of sounding like an a$$hole, throw out the PC and get a Mac. Virus issues are non-existent, so we just never have to deal with all that crap. In the end a Mac is cheaper to own and operate. I'm not interested in starting a thread back and forth as there will be die-hard Windows users here. I just don't understand why anyone would put up with all the crap of cheap computers running a lousy operating system.

Looking forward to getting the wheels. Thanks....

That was my intention as well, Bob... and maybe Jim has a...

good point also... making it a point that the two parties exchange that information when a deal is struck or "forever hold their peace"!

As an extrovert I tend to do my THINKING out loud... and don't necessarily have the THOUGHT completely fine-tuned. You guys are a great sounding board and a great supplement here. Thanks!

Uh, no thanks.

Sorry, but I'm not about to post my personal contact info on a public unsecured forum for all of the internet to use at their (in)discretion, and if I don't already know someone, I'd rather not just throw out my phone number for them to use as they please. Personal privacy & personal safety are key factors in today's world & for good reason. Why do you think this forum software intentionally changes the "AT" symbol to an asterisk "*" when an email address is written?

As for requiring City/State/Country as part of the FS&W rules, many forums require that at least a general location be posted for FS&W ads (which makes sense considering the shipping/payment factors), & most of us already have our general location posted in our sig lines. There's also this posted by Mac at the top of the FS&W forum page (which seems to get ignored):

Announcement: PLEASE include "LOCATION" when posting FS&W ads: Mac (RETIRED Admin, pm OFF)

Still going right over your head....
The point there trying to make is.

You took off for 2 weeks when you had paying Customers who were waiting on what they paid for. A computer problem in this case is your fault not your customers.

You could at least head down to your local Library and login to Xweb and let your customers know this. You didn't attempt to do that.
That doesn't make you look very good to your customers.

This also isn't the first time I have seen this.
If your going to delay your customers you need to get down to a Library and let them know what your doing.

Still going right over your head....

Not going over my head at all. I got "the point" that others were pontificating on & on about (even though this matter had nothing to do with them), & replied earlier this afternoon in a response to Bob Browns post #15 (8:48am), which seems to now be MIA. (wtf? It was posted in between my responses to Tony & Dan) The one where I asked him & the others to please stop beating a dead horse on this issue, BECAUSE IT'S ALREADY BEEN TAKEN CARE OF.

The point THEY'RE trying to make is. You took off for 2 weeks...

Yeah, I just "took off for 2 weeks". Like I was on a high-rollin' vacation in the Bahamas or something! Get real. :rolleyes2:

You could at least head down to your local Library and login to Xweb and let your customers know this. You didn't attempt to do that.

Really? So you absolutely know for a fact that I didn't attempt to do that? But wait, then how did I end up with this shiny new Riverside County Public Library card that I'll probably never use again? :confuse2:

RCLScard.jpg

Oh that's right, I got it when I DID go down to my local library last Monday, tried to use one of their public-access computers to log on to Xweb (hoping to access my PM's here), but then couldn't log on because I couldn't remember my damn password (since my computer here at home normally "auto-fills" this info for me & I change my passwords frequently). This is the very thing I posted in my earlier response to Bob Brown.

Any Admin here can check the Xweb logs & verify my 5 unsuccessful log-in attempts in a row & Xweb automatically locking me out from trying again for 15 minutes that day. Will that be good enough for you??? (Doesn't matter. I really don't :censored: care anymore)

Please, everyone just continue to tell me the things I should have done but didn't just because you assume it to be so... :blackeye:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back