15" rims

Yes

The short answer is yes. The longer version is that they need to be very specific 15" wheels with proper back spacing, offset, etc and be prepared to roll the fenders for clearance.

Vick's has some 15" wheels as an example of what can work:

http://www.vickauto.com/newstore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5_7_73

I have no experience with these wheels, I just point them out as a possibility. Others with actual experience will hopefully join in the conversation.

Another way to go on this...

That requires a bit of math and a general understanding of wheel offset is to look outside the 4x98 Fiat world, which opens up a lot of different possibilities. 4x100 was a common pattern that came on Honda's, early BMW's, and others. These wheels generally have more backspacing and are designed for FWD cars. You can adapt these wheels to X1/9's one of two ways.

1. Get a set of custom spacers fabbed, which can be made to handle hubcentricity, then use long studs and wobble nuts. The spacer takes up the wheel backspacing difference.

2. Same thing except instead of spacers, get wheel adapters, which will actually transform the 4x98 pattern on the hub side to a true 4x100 pattern on the wheel side. This eliminates the wobble nuts. Same points about hubcentricity and backspacing apply.

Either way, Charlie at Serpent Auto can get you fixed right up.

Pete

Last edited:
Vic AutoStrade

I have the Vic Autostrade , smoked chrome on my '84, they are awesome , I get a ton of compliments
I did not have to roll the fenders . I did however install coilovers (KYB from Matt at Bayless)
there was a slight bit of rubbing at full lock to the right .
nothing a little tweaking couldn't fix.:hammer: I also have the fender liners installed , there was a very very slight rubbing at full lock that went away after about a week .
My black and silver X is on Vic's sight with the wheels
good luck
BTW I'm running 195/45 /15 Toyo Proxies

Thank you to everyone for your help.. I just inherited my x19 from my father who is pushing 88 years old. He had a Fiat repair garage in Iowa City. He taught me a lot, how ever I am learning I have forgotten more than I ever knew. I am hoping it will all start coming back.. If anyone has information on Dallara body kits, or performance parts. ie. headers/ exhaust, carbs etc. to add a little horse power or torque. I am open to all possibilities. I was wondering of changing the head might be a possibility. I want to build this to be something my father would be very proud of. My father is of some help but the years havent been good to him as of late.

Welcome to Xweb Dennis

Check with Midwest-Bayless, C. Obert and Vick Autosport for parts, etc. I have an 85 X with a MWB performance head, Vick's header, and suspension parts for C. Obert. I am in the process of putting the same performance changes into my 78.

I "think" MWB can still get you a Dallara replica body kit, but check with them to be sure. If you are in a hurry (relatively speaking anyway) you can have a complete performance engine built by one of the vendors.

Back