• Fix-A-Flat

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Spare tire, what's that!

Votes: 12 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

strangepod

1987 Bertone X1/9
As I was installing the starter relay and taking the spare out for the 4bazillion-th time I was wondering......

Some form of compact

I voted compact because it is a standard 145 tyre on an old steel rim, which is compact compared to the 195/45-15s we run.

I don't carry a spare...

... or a jack, or any of that stuff.

An AAA card will get the car home, and I always have some good wheels and tires somewhere in the boneyard to get the car back on the road.

Last edited:
I guess I'm old school...

So much so that I'm nervous setting out on the smallest trips without a full-sized spare tire. A flat is dangerous enough, and being without a quick and somewhat easy way to remedy it and be on my way could also be dangerous depending on where you are.

The only time I can ever recall needing a spare tire on the road was back several years when I had the Budget Zagato. I was heading to my friend Val's shop on the Olympic peninsula via SR101. Some distance up the road, about a 1.5 hour drive, I encountered a football sized rock in the road. The weather was drizzly so I tried to straddle it but caught the edge with one of the rear wheels. I stopped at the next opportunity to survey the damage and sure enough the rock bent the wheel and damaged the side of the tire, which went flat as I watched it.

I changed the tire and eventually got back on the road. Given the remoteness of the area, it may have been impossible to call AAA, which I carry. I've been on other back road drives and have always felt safer with a full sized spare. I carry a 12v tire pump as well, but do try to keep the spare aired up.

Me too, Greg.......!

.....and have always felt safer with a full sized spare.....

....call me "old school" or whatever!!
But the convenience of having that OE spare in its easy-to-get-at location gives me quite some degree of comfort! :nod:
Only had to use it once in 14 years of X-ownership, but it's a quick and easy 5 minute changeover!

cheers, Ian - NZ

Most of the time I leave the spare in the garage. It is mostly a weight thing and it does afford some extra storage space. I don't get that far from home so I figure I will just call my son and have him run the spare and tools to me. He is on a couple hundred mile bicycle/camping trip right now and will not be back for a few days so if I have to go out in the X19 while he is gone I will throw the stuff in. I have found that if I keep good tires on my car I very seldom have any problems. Having said that one of the darn things is probably going flat as it sets down in the garage right now.

... or a jack, or any of that stuff.

An AAA card will get the car home, and I always have some good wheels and tires somewhere in the boneyard to get the card back on the rad.

Ditto
Have never needed a spare while driving any car ever. Have a subwoofer back there instead, MUCH more useable.

Last edited:
I believe "Murphy" was an Optimist...

You don't need any of that junk and will never use it as long as there is air in the tire and the tools to change it... or a can of goop or a AAA card or a .45 automatic.

Leave any one of these things at home where it stands between you and getting the car back on the road... and guess what...

And 'dats why I carry chains in all my cars! I've single-handedly stopped snow from falling here in SoCal since 1974! And that's the truth!

At least a compact spare

Gotta have at least a compact spare. I daily drive my X and if I am on my way somewhere important and get a flat, I want to be able to change it myself and get back on the road in a few minutes rather than waiting for someone to come tow me somewhere. I have AAA too, but anyone who has ever used AAA knows they can take a while to get to you. Especially if you in the middle of nowhere. I am quite proficient in changing the tire on my X as I have done it many many times and can change a tire in about 5 minutes. Showing up 5 minutes late on a spare is a lot better than an hour or two later.

I use the Queen for trips longer than 1.5 hours and a spare is mandatory. Last year on a trip to OH, we had a flat and after installing the spare drove over 30 miles to have the tire fixed.

By a Sub Woofer

I replaced by a sub woofer and 12V electric pump

KB28WdP.jpg

I run no tire on my local drives. If I took the car on a trip (which I doubt I would) I may put the original Pirelli P3 spare inside or some fix-a-flat.

Back