sold for 38.1 million dollars

Market must be flat

The reason they were disappointed is that it was the 'experts' expected this sexy beast to go for more like 60 not the paltry 38. Went to 31 in a minute then it was like pulling hen's teeth. The bidding I think you call it, stalled.

A true classic that you can 'just 'drive on the road, track it in historic and gain entry to the Mille Migilia. If you have the spondoolies then this one of the cars you want, #3851 is one of only 39 250 GTOs made = rare in the true sense of the word.

They don't make curves like that anymore.

"... don't make curves like that anymore!"

I hasten to disagree...

I saw some curves like that walking away from me just the other day!

I kinda think the last attempt at making a little round sporty car was from Mazda... which in the Gen I's, made it look a little "girlie" instead.

That reminded me of TEAM VOODOO and their logo which inspired me to push forward with the production of our Bucking Jackass logo with my good friend Bob Brown, my son Joey, and our Master Fabricator, Ricardo Borja!

I just love their sense of passive humor with their "Fighting Cock" and Red Eye! Looked great on the front fender of the Black Gen II Mazda it was on.

I have often considered purchasing one of their T-Shirts as modeled here. Which brings us back to the original discussion about curves! Looks to me like they indeed still make them...

Oh yes they can.. it is a matter of design choices, not the ability to fab stuff.

Collector cars is becoming much like collecting "fine art" where it is the collectors, speculators, folks who need a place to put their dough has gotten into this.

Cars like this simply have little to no appeal to me as once they have become so highly valued, they are not likely going to be driven and enjoyed as they could be.

They have become collector trophies, bragging rights and all that.

It was not so long ago when American Muscle cars were more often hauled off to the crusher, today they have become collectable for many of the same reasons.

Consider for a moment if Ferrari was not the winning brand they became, same applies to most any brand built by victories at racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGHXju859_A

Bernice

They don't make curves like that anymore.

The two legged curve

I hasten to disagree...

I saw some curves like that walking away from me just the other day!

That kind of curve can cost you over 50% of what you have so some may say that they are more expensive. (Puts flack jacket and helmet on) And they can often be more trouble than a classic car.

Unless you are lucky to have the right model biped that is.

WRT the manufacturing ability Bernice I totally agree, their will to take risks has all but evaporated and the market flavour has passed me by. I said they don't not that they can't. Your summation of the fate of many of these classics is sadly correct, they will rarely turn a wheel in anger - what a waste. I wish they would just go and hang paintings on the wall and leave cars alone.

My point is that the entry to all these previously mentioned events needs a car such as this. If I had those spondoolies then I would treat entry to an event such as the Mille Migilia as my holiday reward for being so dam lucky to be filthy rich.

Given the choice of a Zonder et al or a E Type Jag I'll take the dark lord Lucas. It is still my #1 favourite.

I guess the difference between the old classic and the new supercars are the 'richard' factor. Pull up in an Aventador and women wave their pinkie at you to indicate the size of your 'tackle' and in general your are despised as a big twat. ' Now pull up in an old classic supercar and the opinion is vastly different, folks are generally in awe of classic exotics ( perhaps they are astounded they still exist). Modern supercars are a product of the digital age. Just like the iPhone 4s everyone is waiting for the new one. the Lambo LP400 may not be easy to handle but it weighs 1,000 LBS less than the newest of he breed.
The Aventador is from all accounts heavy and scrubs like a front wheel drive, thank goodness it has 700HP to sling it out of a corner.

I don't really think a Ferrari 612 Scaglietti or a 456 looks anywhere near as buxom as a 250GTO. The Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe or the AC is a good example of a shape so loved that they still make replicas.
A bit like Betty Page and that marvelous curvy shape which has given way to clothes horses in most fashion magazines. Skinny bland things that have bodies that look like young boys. No thanks, curves with a bit of substance please.

To me there isn't the adventure that saw the doors on one of the most beautiful cars ever built created so that when opened it's looks like the horns of a bull

The Miura
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVijD_xX0Bo

Jay Leno has a chat but I guess most of you have seen this, we don't get that program Downunder. He feels the same way about it as I do, "aint she beautiful".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSPnL7m0kII

It was built in 2006 and they never had the courage to build it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hWtoib7YYk

curvy cars

had a chance to buy a 70 246 Ferrari with a toasted motor for 10k.
it belonged to a friend of mine. I had driven it in the past and it was a blast, kinda like an x with a v8.
asking around if I should buy I was reminded by all that it was a European model so no a/c...no tinted windshield... no targa....
and I stalled on the purchase. I decided to buy it anyway. by the time I got the funds together, enzo had died putting the value of the dino at 95k WITH the blown motor. I didn't want it for the investment, I wanted to drive the pis out of it.:wall:
that's my story and i'm sticking with it
mikemo90*aol.com

If the Dino driving experience is wanted, fix up a Lancia Scorpiacarlo. When these are done up proper, the drive is Dino-esk in many, many ways.

Worth noting the Lancia was originally designed for a V6. This is why the rear suspension is so robust. With the 5 speed version of the x1/9, this same rear suspension was used.

Notable about the Dino is the fragile transaxle and the main power fuse. When the connections to the main power fuse becomes aged and poor, the fuse holder gets hot and fails resulting in significant damage. The Dinoplex ignition tends to be tricky.

The V6 is really sweet. It is one of the best driving Ferrari's to this day. Back in the day, these were less expensive than a Porsche 911 as they were considered a cheap imitation "Ferrari" and low quality, problem prone Italian car.

Bernice

had a chance to buy a 70 246 Ferrari with a toasted motor for 10k.
it belonged to a friend of mine. I had driven it in the past and it was a blast, kinda like an x with a v8.
asking around if I should buy I was reminded by all that it was a European model so no a/c...no tinted windshield... no targa....
and I stalled on the purchase. I decided to buy it anyway. by the time I got the funds together, enzo had died putting the value of the dino at 95k WITH the blown motor. I didn't want it for the investment, I wanted to drive the pis out of it.:wall:
that's my story and i'm sticking with it
mikemo90*aol.com

Then we have car folks like Peter Giddings, owner/driver of this Alfa Romeo 8C ex Nuvolari race car.

We had a good long chat about this car and his goals for ownership. He firmly believes that cars like this must be driven and shared for them to be properly appreciated. One day driving up to Thunder Hill race way for a test day, we noted this Alfa 8C on a open trailer heading up Hwy 5.. Na, cannot be the real thing, must be a repro.. We stopped at a rest stop, much to our surprise this Alfa was parked, had to go over for a look. To my shock and surprise, it was the real deal. That was where I met Peter.

Here is a collection of images of this 8C with Peter, wife Judy (crew) and me..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb6phl7-BUQ&list=UUwh_UaR9_fgy97tZynvKs-w

That track day was a shake down day for Peter's date at the Monterey Historic Races in August.

This Alfa Romeo 8C sold for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ1NlATcZLY

Bernice

Your summation of the fate of many of these classics is sadly correct, they will rarely turn a wheel in anger - what a waste. I wish they would just go and hang paintings on the wall and leave cars alone.

italian cars

aren't all of these prone to problems of some sort??
that's what makes them the Bain of our existence and the pleasure that they give us. you have an obvious background in all automotive aspects, and kudos for that. I being mechanical and all, tried to wind a bobbin on a sewing machine once.....being "mechanical and all" and had my mom rolling on the floor LASO. nothing but respect for those that break the stereotypical mold that people have.
glad your on the forum, I will glean and learn much from your threads:worship:
mikemo90*aol.com

No, no and no.. Historically I come from a German car family where BMW & Mercedes where the norm. After a string of BMW 2002 and related larger straight six cars (that is one very sweet motor). I got introduced to Italian cars. It turns out, they are as reliable if not more reliable and mechanically robust then the German cars at lower cost. This with the Italian styling, chassis dynamics, and ... converted me to this Italian car passion. I also have a soft spot for certain French cars.

After 30+ years of x1/9 ownership and numerous other Italian cars over that time. No one can convince me that Italian cars are any more of a problem than any other nationality brand.

Every summer, the 74' exxe gets put into daily driver duty. It starts on the first turn of the key, once warmed up, it is flogged to the limit at every possible moment for all it's 65_ish bhp will allow.

I do not worry about mechanical problems due to knowing precisely the condition of the oily bits.

This 74' was not this way when first arrived. Much sorting out of previous owner inflected problems had to be done. Once it was mostly sorted out, it has been pretty much problem free. Fill with gas and drive it.

Much of my tinkering is often for improvements to what should and can be done to make the original design work as it should or improve it with total respect to what the original designers intended.

Bernice

aren't all of these prone to problems of some sort??

that's what makes them the Bain of our existence and the pleasure that they give us.

Then we have car folks like Peter Giddings, owner/driver of this Alfa Romeo 8C ex Nuvolari race car.

Bernice guys like that should be revered as much as they cherish their historic cars. Without car lovers like him the average punter will never get to see nor appreciate cars previous to 1966' federal regs that killed automotive artisans.

Collector car bubble...

When those with too much money and have no idea of what else to do with their wealth they create investment bubbles to fleece others and shift more wealth their way. This has been done with everything from commodities to tech stocks to real estate to anything that is publicly traded.

It seems some in the media are figuring out there is a small group of money/investor type folks who are tinkering with the collector car market. This is not the first time it has happened. Relative to Ferrari's, the first time for the Ferrari bubble was just before Enzo died.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-70-million-dollar-ferrari-20140814-story.html#page=1

Bernice

Peter and me got along famously. He gave me his business card and we are to keep in touch. This Alfa 8C is not the only pre-war GP car, he has an entire collection of them. All get raced or driven on track often to keep them running well.

Peter is getting up in his years and when his generation passes, what will happen to his collection?

http://petergiddings.com/index.html

Bill Harris who once owned the very best collection of pre-war american cars.. in the very best condition ever had the entire collection broken up after this death. A collection like this is not likely going to happen again. Much of the collection was available for public viewing when it was together. Bill was much into preserving automotive history, his family had other ideas..

Bernice

Bernice guys like that should be revered as much as they cherish their historic cars. Without car lovers like him the average punter will never get to see nor appreciate cars previous to 1966' federal regs that killed automotive artisans.

Back