moterized antenna

I got one off ebay for $30 years ago. Size is a factor, don't have unlimited space, mine is in stock format for an '81 (right rear trunk pocket). I do not carry the jack there anymore. Wiring is likely in place even if you didn't have one originally. I tapped into them in the fuse area. I had a separate switch for a while but now let my stereo trigger it. I used a piece of strap steel to tie it to one of the marker light bolts back there for more stability. I think nearly any one will fit if you're willing to ditch the jack.

Doc, here's a good one...

With a BLACK mast. Not the cheapest, but not a bad price.
HERE. This will work fine for you. You can get them cheaper with silver mast, but black goes better IMHO.

That looks like what I installed (they all look the same, no?)
Mine stopped working this spring, as usual I HAD to take it apart and examine. Ended up fixing it.

As I recall I used both factory wires, put constant power into the one (fused) and the sense line on the other. I think I put a relay in to protect the stereo though. I do it this way so my stereo/antennae and amp are all hot all the time (don't need key on for anything). I had an idiot light to tell me my antenna was up so I wouldn't leave it that way (for vandals to break) but now that it's sensed that idiot light is for the amp, so I don't leave it on by mistake. I like idiot lights, I have have one for my engine lid too! What does that say about me?....................:eyepop:

Sort of...

1 wire is +12v power. This is directly wired to the back of the car.
The other wire is the sense line, usually attached to the "antenna sense" line coming out of the radio.

Take caution NOT to cross these wires. You do NOT want to feed +12V back into the radio sense line unless you're looking to buy a new radio.:shock:

With a BLACK mast. Not the cheapest, but not a bad price.
HERE. This will work fine for you. You can get them cheaper with silver mast, but black goes better IMHO.
I just thought I'd comment now that I have it installed. This antenna rocks!! The black looks great and it fit in like a glove. The jack even still fits in it's normal position.

Thanks for the recommendation Bob!!

Glad it worked out Tim,

This is the same unit I put on the Trailer Queen and I loved it.

Part number

fwiw, rather than link to specific ebay auction, which required some additional leg work to find an active listing, you can in the future do a search on the part number, AUTA2030B
hope this helps. (found and ordered one - really really tired of trying to remember to pull up the antennae when I want it and remember to put it down before opening the runk as it interferes with the spoiler if left up)

-Brett

Brett, thanks for that...

Usually when I find stuff, I do it in a hurry so I'm not always finding the best search criteria.
Finding those black mast antennas is hard at times so your 'search for' post is most helpful. :thumbsup:

Back