VIN history

Rodger

True Classic
I recently purchased a 1981 X in California. The seller was selling it for a friend who had it for several years but never did anything with it, so he didn't know much about the history of the car. I would be interested in finding out where it came from, but as it turns out the California title had an incorrect VIN on it. I tried running a Carfax report on the correct VIN, but there are no records on it. The correct VIN is ZFABS00A0B8141514. They had dropped the 8 on the title certificate. Does anyone have VIN histories on the X1/9s?

Go here to the IDENTIFICATION section... it opens in Acrobat Reader... and scroll down to page 00-3.

It will give you what to look for on the VUN tags and what they mean.

http://xwebforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=WorkshopManuals

If registering the car, you may wanna copy the manual to show the Inspector that the numbering (missing the "8" had to be a typo... as it should be there like on the car and in the manual.

(My car was rejected and I had to do it all over again because the Inspector dropped on of the "1s" when he filled out the form! In CA the car drops off the computer after 7 years whether or not its been registered as Non-Op and it hasta be inspected all over again...)

I found this chart here:

http://x19gr.50webs.com/tecnical.htm

... and I am unsure of the accuracy.

Note... your VIN's last 6 digits, after the "8" are: 141514.

Reading the chart from the bottom up, and I believe the VIN layout and the PRECEEDING letters and numbers changed after 1979 (which should include some carbed 1980 cars) and then conformed to all international regulations.

Alas... your VIN would make your car a 1982, and not a 1981.

Found this one on an Aussie site...

http://www.x19.com.au/stats.html

Note the 1981 and 1982 VINs on their chart of owners in OZ closely match yours between '81 and '82...

ONE MORE TIME...

BOB Rs list is probably the most accurate and can be substantiated by the actual owners... and it puts your car being built in 1981

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/14509/

HTH... and I still think using an aftermarket A/C system would be simpler, cheaper and easier! I installed one myself in my Vette and it looks "factory" from the cockpit... and even though it was a "bolt in", some mods still needed to be done. Really not much more or less than you would need to do in upgrading and installing used parts for yours. I just behoove you to investigate a bit more before you commit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently purchased a 1981 X in California. The seller was selling it for a friend who had it for several years but never did anything with it, so he didn't know much about the history of the car. I would be interested in finding out where it came from, but as it turns out the California title had an incorrect VIN on it. I tried running a Carfax report on the correct VIN, but there are no records on it. The correct VIN is ZFABS00A0B8141514. They had dropped the 8 on the title certificate. Does anyone have VIN histories on the X1/9s?
Here is the service letter that explains the changes in VIN numbers starting with the September 1981 cars.

http://www.sandrin.com.au/VIN Decoder.pdf

Hey... we all have something to contribute...

I remember Anthony G. coming on board feeling he was just a Newbie and didn't know Jack.

He started playing with his carb and within a month or so was THE TUNING GURU for Webers on this site... posting sizes of Air Correctors and Emulsion Tubes standard for the usual DMTRA 32's and all other standard and accessory carbs per year from '74 through '79.

I haven't seen the VIN numbers defined so easily and clear as this "official" letter that you posted... in the last 15 years!

Thanks again!

service bullitens

I thought I was the only one with a boatload of fiat factory info!
kudos for the info. I will have to go back and re-read all the stuff from work:read:
mikemo90*aol.com

When in doubt when buying a car. Especially expensive brands. You can check the correctness of the wine code on the official Epicvin website. Good service. With it you can car history report sample. I checked it myself. The information is really reliable
I haven't looked, does it also include the earlier vehicle VIN's before the standardized system with more digits? Most X's (before a specific build date) were that way and therefore do not show up on any VIN records. This seems to throw off a lot of motor vehicle department people as well. You would think that they know better, but I guess they are government employees so....

Last edited by a moderator:
When in doubt when buying a car. Especially expensive brands. You can check the correctness of the wine code on the official Epicvin website. Good service. With it you can car history report sample. I checked it myself. The information is really reliable
As this is denisyoung's first and only post on XWeb, I have disabled the link for now till I hear back from him.

I haven't looked, does it also include the earlier vehicle VIN's before the standardized system with more digits? Most X's (before a specific build date) were that way and therefore do not show up on any VIN records. This seems to throw off a lot of motor vehicle department people as well. You would think that they know better, but I guess they are government employees so....
Lol. I couldn‘t even get a VIN verification on the ‘74 from FIAT for goodness sake. And they built the damn thing…

Lol. I couldn‘t even get a VIN verification on the ‘74 from FIAT for goodness sake. And they built the damn thing…
Supposedly in those days Italian car makers did not keep good records. I remember back in my Ferrari days it was real problem for those with rare, limited production, older models that were priceless but could not get any info on the car. I'm sure it is even worse for a mass produced car from Fiat.

Supposedly in those days Italian car makers did not keep good records. I remember back in my Ferrari days it was real problem for those with rare, limited production, older models that were priceless but could not get any info on the car. I'm sure it is even worse for a mass produced car from Fiat.
They did offer to sell me a ‘Verification Document’ if I wanted for €45

Back