The Long and the Short of It

Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Waitin' On Parts...
Went to a car show Sunday 8/24/14 and as I was pulling into the show area to park, a friend waved me over to park next to the car he is selling for a customer.

Immediately seeing the contrast, I made sure to park so that our front bumpers were lined up.

Here's the result:
IMG_5539.JPG

BTW, the other car is a 1966 Cadillac [Not a Coupe] DeVille Convertible. The owner was asking $20,000 for it.

Last edited:
Hey Dan... that DeVille is NOT a Coupe...

Unless you are implying it was ONCE a coupe...

'66 was the first year I started working for Cadillac... they made an Econo Cad called a Calais and I think it was only a 2dr. Then there was a 2dr Coupe and 4 dr Sedan De Ville, a 4dr Fleetwood, (stretched Sedan), a 4dr Limo (stretched Fleetwood) and two convertibles, a De Ville, and an El Dorado. There were also the Hearsts and Ambulances with custom coachwork... but every model had the same engine and drivetrain.

So... $20, grand huh... based on your beautiful car... pound for pound, his is a BARGAIN! HA!

OK I see...if it a had a standard roof it would be a Coupe DeVille, but as a convertible it's considered a DeVille Convertible.

OK Tony a trip down memory lane....upon opening the hood, what unusual feature would be CLOSEST to you?

Hints are available for $20 apiece.:):)

Of course if you have the right answer, ALL of your $20 debts (and you got alotta them) are wiped clean!

Hmmmm....

OK I see...if it a had a standard roof it would be a Coupe DeVille, but as a convertible it's considered a DeVille Convertible.

Yeah... Coupe and Sedan DeVilles were both "Hardtops"... no B or C pillars. The Fleetwoods and Limos were stretched "sedans" with B and B&C pillars respectively. Convertibles were the DeVilles and also ElDorados. Not many "econo" Calais were ever seen... which kinda laughingly might make them even more valuable.

OK Tony a trip down memory lane....upon opening the hood, what unusual feature would be CLOSEST to you?

Not sure what you mean by "unusual" and/or "feature"... and if the unusual feature was as compared to Cadillacs, or to other cars?

But... if I remember correctly... the Battery was up in the Left-Front... with lots of AIR between the grille and the radiator.

Here's a photo... expand it and see the battery, horns, dryer and the ground! I think the battery being up front like that was the only "unusual" thing... and possibly a "feature" so that it could be easily jump-started. OH... and the Battery had a "Delco-Eye"... which is the second cap from the right on the battery. It enabled one to SEE the electrolyte level without removing the cap. It was a "good" indication, but not the BEST idea. Some of the other cells could be low and you wouldn't know.

Other stuff might be:

I believe the '66 was the first year of the 429 with the 3 speed Turbo Hydromatic... but everything else with the exception of the 3rd member in the rear axle was about the same as many years prior.

The 3rd member had NO bolted on caps, but the casting was cut diagonally where the caps would have been. Somehow the factory took the ring and spider gear assembly and walked it in at an angle and then pressed it into the "caps". WEIRD... and unrepairable!

Hints are available for $20 apiece.:):)

Of course if you have the right answer, ALL of your $20 debts (and you got alotta them) are wiped clean!

So... I'm debt-free now, RIGHT!!!

Nope, you didn't get it, all debts are still in force!

This particular car had two batteries, one in each front corner. Was that a factory or dealer option with the Convertible?

No... I am RIGHT... 'cause...

These folks ask the same question...

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=107747.0

This club is THE premier and only Cad/LaSalle Club I know of and they say NO! Not a regular configuration... but a second battery is easily added.

I believe I remember seeing dual batteries in an ambulance and figured it was to assure starting.

Here are the only two other fotos I could find and since the the car you saw was modified... the question wasn't exactly fair...

Soooooo... I consider my debts are no longer... especially since I've wasted too much of my retirement so far playing with this!

HA!

Yep when I did a Google search I ran across that same post regarding the second battery tray.

Possibilities:
1. Maybe part of a "cold weather / heavy duty" starting or charging package?

2. Maybe some dealers did a dealer-installed second battery option on convertibles, convincing customers that the power top needed a second battery

One of those mysteries of life that will probably never be answered:cry::doh:

Back