What are these wheels worth nowadays?

addictedpunk

Daily Driver
Alright, so I was looking at my X's wheels and I thought I'd give it a shot and try to restore them. Basically, I cleaned and re-cleaned, and then re-cleaned some more. Next up was paint. Taped off the bare aluminum parts and painted the original charcoal color. So what do you guys think? The last picture is my X on google maps. You can see the color scheme the previous owner decided to go with when it came to his wheels.

Also, JJ told me that these are worth way more with the original Bertone center caps. Nice, because I have all four, plus an extra phone dial wheel which I will be using as a spare.

What would you guys pay for these in this condition with center caps?

Worth has a lot to do with how much you like them. Rims are to car guys are like shoes to women. Always thinking maybe that those other ones would look better. Nice job by the way.

Great work Jose'... While yur at it...

Take those caps, clean them up, polish the centers, mask them and then paint the outer rims in a Duplicolor Trim Black. They will look like NEW and be a great fit with the excellent job you did on those wheels!

BTW... these Speedlines are usually called "Phone-Dial" wheels... came stock on some '85s I think.

I ran some on White Fang about 15 years ago as they came to me for 50 bucks with a great set of Sumitumo HTR100's. That's right... 100s~!

I ended up cutting down some plastic beauty rims for an even better bling and I think they came out looking great.

Sorry I don't have any close-ups of the wheels and tires... but you get the idea...

As to what they are worth??? Probably MILLIONS of Lira if you can find them...

But yours in this excellent condition with caps to the right buyer... I'd say $250 USD and up! Unfinished... $100.

Last edited:
Jose,

No idea of the value, but you did a really nice job. Now, be a good son and do something similar for you dad so you can show off both X's at BFI this November.

Mike

I think you're holding back a little...

Those "TAPED" areas look like they were touched by a lathe to me...Liberal use of the word BASICALLY:)...very nice job though!

Very nice work!

The phone dials that came on my '87 look like crap - the clear coat is shot - definitely take more work than they are worth to restore, IMO.

I may need to have a go though, yours really look good. :)

Now Grant,

These were actually machined by the PO. He works with CNC (is that what it's called?) machinery, and did the work on the edges and center. Then he painted them white.

I can see why you would think I had someone do it for me, but nope, I just cleaned and painted. Either way, think what you want.

As to what they are worth??? Probably MILLIONS of Lira if you can find them...

Why use Turkish money when you can go Italian? :italia:

IT118S.JPG

Price?

What would you guys pay for these in this condition with center caps?

I've seen three different 4-piece sets of these wheels in similar or worse condition sell for $300-$350 in the last year or two. IMHO, a 5-piece set of these wheels in nice shape like yours with the Bertone "b" centercaps should sell for $400 minimum. :thumbsup:

Good catch Jeff... GOOGLE zoomed me!

I simply typed LIRA or maybe LIRE and these bills popped up all over the place. I never really bothered to look that close... besides, its all GREEK to me!

HA!

Hey Jeff,

Always good to hear from ya. Glad you're back online.

You know, that fifth wheel was actually bought from you, if I remember correctly. So thanks to you, I have my matching spare.

I actually agree with Jeff on this one. I saw a near perfect set for 400 up in the bay area last year for 400 and those you have there look outstanding.

The only thing holding the original wheels back in price is the wide variety of wheels available today for about the same price point.

put them up on ebay for 599 best offer and you might be pleasantly surprised...

Back