Towing the X

WYOX19

True Classic
The transmission on my wife's Explorer broke down 1800+ miles from home and after the under warranty transmission is replaced, I plan to drive the Queen to Susanville CA and then tow her home with the Explorer. I'm concerned about rock chips and want to protect the paint, but don't know the best way to do so. Are there any other things that I should consider? All comments and suggestions will be appreciated.
I have an F250 diesel that would probably do the job better, but I want to drive the Queen

Last edited:
3M makes a spray on paint product to protect paint. It makes a temporary mask that can be removed. I don't have any experience with the product.
3M also makes a plastic film that is more permanent paint protection. You may want a body shop to install it. It has been around for twenty years.

I towed my X with my Vanagon...

I towed my X with my Vanagon to one of the Mirafirori.com Oregon events. As a result, there was a lot of road damage to the front nose paint. :tomato: I would recommend a full "mudflap" like you see on RV's across the back of your Explorer. Even some cheap rubber floor mats would work.

I used a Harbor Freight tow bar bolted through the stock front bumper, after removing the rub strips. The rub strips hid the holes for the tow bar bracket when you're done. :grin:

One way Uhaul rental?

Since you will have an Xplorer for the return trip, you can most likely get a full size hauler from uhaul. Rent it one way from Susanville to home. It wont be the cheapest solution, but the Queen will ride high and wont suffer any Xtra wear and tear from being flat towed for 1800 miles.

When I originally bought the Trailer Queen...

I towed it home using a tandom wheel flatbed trailer. I towed with my Ford Explorer.
BTW Jim, I blew my transmission towing the EMPTY aluminum trailer (that I stored the Trailer Queen in) going over one of our large mountains, about 50 miles from home. Blew the seal around the torque converter. Hauling an 8x8 foot sail takes a lot of torque at 65mph. Ended up putting a heavy duty trans in to replace the original.

Jim-Bob, Bob-Jim... both own "Exploders" and FIATS!

That would be F-O-R-D and F-I-A-T too!

Talk about "gluten's for punishment"!

Many options listed and Jim, with the amount of driving you do with the Queen, a professionally applied 3M clear coating (as others have suggested) would be a great thing for you to have on this car.

My car has rarely been towed but the nose has been "peppered" with chips... from just driving... which is a "badge of honor" for me, but not something I'd recommend for the Queen! Besides, Bob would kill me! HA!

I saw several of these 3M-type applications today on Street Rods costing $100K - $200K with just such protection. Almost UNDETECTABLE and it works!

But as Greg suggested... I too would purchase some sort of wall-to-wall RV "mud-flap" to protect it even more.

HTH...

Jim-Bob, Bob-Jim... both own "Exploders" and FIATS!

That would be F-O-R-D and F-I-A-T too!

Talk about "gluten's for punishment"!

Many options listed and Jim, with the amount of driving you do with the Queen, a professionally applied 3M clear coating (as others have suggested) would be a great thing for you to have on this car.

My car has rarely been towed but the nose has been "peppered" with chips... from just driving... which is a "badge of honor" for me, but not something I'd recommend for the Queen! Besides, Bob would kill me! HA!

I saw several of these 3M-type applications today on Street Rods costing $100K - $200K with just such protection. Almost UNDETECTABLE and it works!

But as Greg suggested... I too would purchase some sort of wall-to-wall RV "mud-flap" to protect it even more. I would use this whether I flat-towed, or used a tow-dolly,or even if I used an enclosed trailer, just to protect the trailer!

HTH...

Back