Future X value?

Market Values, Fake Parts..

Stopped by the machinist a few days back to pick up a set of rotors that needed some speciality work ( when the parts are too big for the machine tools in the shop, they get sent out). As were were chatting, there was a mention what has happened to air cooled Porsche market prices. He does an awful lot of machine work on VW & air cooled Porsches..

One of his customers had a set of old 36 hp VW engine cases which turned out to fit the Porsche serial number progression for Early Porsches. Turns out, Porsche pulled parts off the VW line and modified them some what as they became "Porsche engines". With a some minor machine work and knowing what needed to be done. These old VW engine cases suddenly became collectable Porsche engine cases. This customer took delivery of these modified VW cases and sold them to one of his customers for $20,000. This is for an engine case, no other oily engine bits. It held water since the production serial numbers matched what should have been Porsche engine production.

This is what the upped value of collectable cars have done, caused the scraping up of very questionable parts to be sold off as rare and collectable parts.

-Value by brand association with collectors willing to "pay" for the trophy and the bragging rights and bloated ego that comes with the trophy.

The market value for the exxe will never rise to these levels due to it's association with Fix It Again Toni, and all the related market beliefs that have been built up in the world of car folks.

Still, why does any of this matters. What really matters is what one gets from the experience of ownership. If one looks at any of these motor cars with the belief that they will have any monetary return on investment, there are far better places to put your dough.

Better to "Enjoy The Ride" than to worry about all that market value blather...

Bernice

A view from the UK... i'm one for enjoying the X, mine doesn't even live in a garage, and I'm sure you've heard about our weather! The car only cost me £1500, its certainly the lowest cost classic sports car you can buy here. Most people don't even know what it is, especially bertone badged cars as they can't read the label! Which is why I think they are currently so cheap.

The fix it again tomorrow thing doesn't really stick here any more, its a memory of people from the 70s... new fiats such as the new 500 and punto have been so popular for the last 20 years (punto), the brand, I think, is quite respected. Although a small Fiat always seems to be the girlfriend/wifes car....

Since i've owned my car, so many people tell me their memories of friends or relitives once owning one. I think the styling is almost matured and is becoming more appreciated in the vintage/retro era we're in.

As someone mentioned a very low mileage car went for approx £18,000 which is a record, another which was literally 'new off shelf' went for £8000 this year. The car was never sold by the Jersey channel islands Fiat dealer and was mothballed since 1989... money had to be spent re-conditioning it also.

I think there are currently only about 600 running and registered cars in the uk. The numbers have fallen off considerably over the years, as they would have done in the US. For these reasons I believe the X1/9 is a true valued classic for the future. People just haven't realized it yet. Most classic car values in the uk have increased due to the financial crisis over the last few years. People have bought them as their money in the bank doesn't do much for them and the generation that grew up with the x1/9 will soon become nostalgic when they realize 70s and 80s cars are uber cool again.

Old Alfa Romeos for example have also started to increase in value. Their perceived unreliability and rust rep contribute to their rarety and coolness. For example Alfa suds

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/list/1/alfasud/

These cars may never reach six figures and when you add up all the bills there wont be much left, but its nice to know they will be worth more than you paid for them. A few more magazine articles and tv mentions are all it takes to spike interest in the cars and it will not be much longer that one can buy a roadworthy X for the price you can now.

In fact I might buy another one :) ;)

Also regarding the comment, "imagine if the X was designed for the US', it was wasn't it? That's one reason its so unique.

Back