Question For '83-'88 X Owners

I ditched the Fiat badges (they were trashed) went to Bertone because they looked cooler (until I saw how large they were, ran them anyway) then bullnosed it (filled the indents front and rear), paint failed over the front one, put Bertone back on, lost it on the highway (cheap repro, no great loss) then printed one on my 3d printer and painted it bronze, will eventually fix the paint and go back to nothing, stealth baby
http://xwebforums.org/showpost.php?p=205123&postcount=23

Badge, what badge?

Expand the photo below and take a close look at his snout... His arse-end is the same as well. Back in the day... this was called "nosing and decking" on customs and semi-customs. I usually like to see a badge of some sort, somewhere on a car, and I think the Bertone emblems on the wings are more than sufficient.

Below is Merkel Weiss' ride and he usually does 1000 point Concours restorations. I'm not sure if he nosed and decked this car or the PO did... but other than this mod and the wheels and tires... Its all stock... and a beautiful ride!

I modified mine before painting it in about '99 I think. In '85 or so I ordered two new FIAT emblems from the FIAT parts department at a local dealer. They finally arrived after months and I replaced my old ones on the car. I don't think they lasted 6 months before they were faded again and looking like crap again.

Reminds me of a slogan I once read on a box that said: "If you make it, be proud to mark it, PRINTED BY JOHN DOE & SONS"

I kinda felt FIAT wasn't too proud of this car so any resemblance to the FIAT name slowly sneaked away...

When I was doing the body work and FIAT as well as Bertone "abandoned" ME and the US... I wasn't gonna advertise for them or give them any more credit! Three layers of Bondo did the trick and unlike most of my work, its still undetectable after all this time.

As others have said... the Bucking Jackass emblems usually cause a stir... especially amongst the snobby Ferrari set. Most are so enraged they can't see the PUN... I love doing subtle tricks like this that usually cause a laugh...

Given the chance and I have an interested party... I will take the time to show them the attributes and give them some history. I just love telling new Chrysler owners that their car is powered by a FIAT engine. Usually freaks them out and they are in disbelief!

Also... if and when you haveta use a "chain" parts store for something... the "kid" behind the counter will start typing on his terminal and ask what kinda car it is... I always hesitate to say... but then I do... "FIAT, a '79 FIAT X1/9!" They then usually stop typing and respond with... "FIAT... Who makes that?"

yah, "nosing and decking" what Tony said, I like the look and am only running the homemade front one to hide a paint loss,
anyway
3-D printing
I think that in the next few years 3-D printers will be like household appliances, you buy something, it prints in your house, simple stuff at first.
I've made useful things and then upload them to places like thingiverse and everyone shares, it's very cool, that reminds me I've got to get my heater knobs up there.

Being a bit of retarded country (automobilewise)

I present WhiteX, when questioned, that "it is a Bertone but a fiat under the skirt".
A time ago I had stored a bunch of printed massages, describing the car and it's features which began with- "No, it is not for sale and I don't know how much it costs"...
Not any more but I guess I'll print some.

I usually say Fiat...

since I think with their reintroduction to the US of A, people need to understand a little of the history of Fiat (I.e., they had some cool cars before the 500!). I also get a lot of positive remarks from the younger folks (even from some of the hipsters that frequent Austin!).

Yeppers Jeff... That kinda thing I can handle...

and look forward to and maybe available real soon as well. 3D Printers will fit on our desks to handle all the little things and one in the garage to purchase boats, cars and aircraft.

It those HOLOGRAMS and TRANSPORTERS that really freak me out... especially if coupled with a 3D printer!

Well...

It depends

Sometimes I just say it's a Fiero... just to know if the guy is really knowing cars. Especially if he asked if it was a Triumph.

But, most of the times, while driving the 1980 Fiat with Fiat badges, I say It's a Fiat.

While driving the 1987 Bertone with the Bertone badges, I gave the long answer: "We used to know that car as a Fiat X1/9. Bertone was building them and Fiat was selling them until 1982 in Canada But that one was purchased in the States. When Fiat let down the X1/9...." and you know the rest of the story.

Daniel Forest
Montréal, Canada

My close friend , whom I'd previously explained to him when I got it that it was a Bertone (rebadged Fiat) X1/9, later asked me when he finally saw it "is it a (:wall:) TR7"?

I think some people may remember it was a Fiat and then get close and see Bertone and lose confidence in knowing /remembering what it is. There are few people who remember Fiat X1/9's but even less who knew there was a change from Fiat to Bertone.

I recently removed the rear bumper and original spoiler on mine and installed a Forza-Faza duck tail spoiler. I am sure people see "Forza-Faza" and don't know what to think!

I do get a LOT of positive comments on the car though. Pretty much every time I go out with it.

Back