More Problems Found

Tavalin

Florida Mike (again)
Well, I started the Clutch and Brake Master Cylinder replacement when I jacked up the drivers side to place the jack stands and noticed a small spot of liquid under the engine area. Finished with the stands and then investigated the liquid and it turns out the fuel tank is leaking.
fd043fcf61c8daab92f98f6c63a27c69.jpg

OMG, this X is beginning to be too much for me and my family to afford. I knew there would be issues here and there but this X seems to be fighting me all the way.
Now, she needs a new sending unit and a fuel tank, exhaust and exhaust mounts along with the distributor turned to the correct point and timing reset.

Just wondering if someone would be interested in her if I had to say goodbye??? If so, then I will move this from discussion to the For Sale area.

Again, I am just checking if anyone, knowing the car, would be interested.

This is due to pressure from within.

ed43c703e7cf8e34c578b0af981dbcb7.jpg

Thanks, Mike

Minor

These are all minor problems with an old car.

Take a deep breath and relax, there are a lot of good people to walk you through this on this form.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Another $350.00 is not what I needed right now. Just don't want to be that guy who has a car in the garage that never moves.
It will be a long time before I can get the tank.
Thanks again, Mike

has anyone here....

not had to change their tank? I had to do mine years ago....seems to be a common thing on the X....had lots of other old cars, and never had a rusty tank. I have a FI tank in my car that I got from Robert out at Shadetree, wonder how long till it goes bad?.
It isn't hard to replace, and I think any radiator repair shop can fix them or they have stuff like this:
http://www.tcpglobal.com/POR-49216_...nf4yJWXONcFcKZQ_gmVLEaAtKT8P8HAQ#.VrauBdIrKCg

fight the good fight man, don't give up....

you can seal it yourself for pretty cheap, it's just time then, the tank is really easy to get out if you get the car up high enough
you don't "need' a sending unit right away, you just have to use your trip meter as a gas gauge for a while, is it not salvageable?

not had to change their tank?

Two of my '74s have the original tank. I expect that a lot depends on the history - if the car has had to sit for extended periods with gas and water in the bottom of the tank, it's gonna be bad.

not had to change their tank?

Mine is original and no evidence of seam or rust issues. 134K, in New York, and this car was used in the winter.

Body looks great from the pic. Shame if you have to sell, but I understand keeping the peace.....

Its OK Mike, QUIT, GIVE IN, JUMP...

I'll swing by Nebraska and get this POS off your hands... and give you a cool $1000 bucks towards the down payment on a BRAND NEW KIA.

Your troubles will be over and you take the few extra dollars you save on maintenance (as long as you don't go to the dealer and do your own) and take the family out to see some stupid computer-generated animated movie.

Even though these cars had questionable reliability back when they were NEW... My wife and I drove our '79 as a DD for 10 years and over 110K miles with one trans rebuild initially (under warranty) when I bought it, and a clutch.

Let us know how that KIA does over the next 10 years... and also let us know what kinda maintenance you have with it over the next 30+ years.

Any car this old is gonna haveta be looked upon as a HOBBY CAR whether you strip it all down and do a rotisserie rebuild all at once or piece-part it over time. Yur gonna spend 2 hours playing and maintaining this car for every hour on the road. Ya gotta LOVE caring for it as much as driving it.

We can't physically be in Nebraska but we can be there cyberly. Take videos, photos, and phone numbers and find a friend that is interested in giving you a hand. Neither of you need to know anything specifically about this car, ya just need a desire. Us folks here LOVE to provide our experience, expertise, and even tools and parts to others, so they too can know the cocaine-like affect these little cars have on you... and its all HEALTHY.

Take care of the family first but also MAKE TIME and DOLLARS for YOU and YOUR HOBBY. You'll never resent it, you'll never resent anyone, you deserve it, just as your loved ones deserve to be cared for and happy by a happy and loving husband and father.

I think that covers it... and as my dear friend Tony K said... take it easy, sit back, it'll be OK and we're here to help.

Otherwise... let me have your address and I'll send a transport.

Tony, KIA.... Why do you insult me that way. It would be a Hyundai...lol
I did trade the 500L for a 2006 Truck. Needed it for everything I am doing in the yard and house.

Anyway, It is just every penny I spend on the X get at least one hour of resentment and verbal counseling from my wife. I see her point but this my golf...my fishing. I had a wonderful Jeep Wrangler that I gave up due to this same situation and I have regretted it every single day.
I want to keep her but she maybe too much for me right now. She does not deserve to sit. She needs to be driven.

I am going to attempt to correct the fuel tank issue but I am unable to drive her until then.
And, I have gotten this far because of everyone on this forum. The main reason I can possibly keep her is because it seems that I know what I am doing and can get her running. My wife never thought I would even get the X running much less this far into restoring her.

Thanks for the beat down Tony. I need the honesty from time to time.
V/r, Mike

T
I want to keep her but she maybe too much for me right now. She does not deserve to sit. She needs to be driven. Mike

I thought you were referring to your wife at first! (and you still could be?)

I am the same way, I don't golf or hunt or have off road stuff or any other "expensive" hobby so to me a few hundred now and then to keep driving something (that does take me commuting 3/4 of the year) is money well spent. Once running and dependable there's no reason it couldn't be daily driver and "earn it's keep". You're not far at all from being there (probably):eyepop:

Thanks... But every time I think I am almost there the X surprises me with more issues. Most are from the work done prior to me. The PO took to it someone and trusted them. They really did some strange stuff.
Mike

Thanks... But every time I think I am almost there the X surprises me with more issues. Most are from the work done prior to me. The PO took to it someone and trusted them. They really did some strange stuff.
Mike

I have the exact same experience but i'm to the point where the DPO (dreaded previous owner) has been exercised out of the car by now and I have none but myself to blame.:help:

I have had the same problem with the fleet tow truck's I used to operate. Always makes you wonder what drugs they were doing that day.

Well, I started the Clutch and Brake Master Cylinder replacement when I jacked up the drivers side to place the jack stands and noticed a small spot of liquid under the engine area. Finished with the stands and then investigated the liquid and it turns out the fuel tank is leaking.
fd043fcf61c8daab92f98f6c63a27c69.jpg

OMG, this X is beginning to be too much for me and my family to afford. I knew there would be issues here and there but this X seems to be fighting me all the way.
Now, she needs a new sending unit and a fuel tank, exhaust and exhaust mounts along with the distributor turned to the correct point and timing reset.

Just wondering if someone would be interested in her if I had to say goodbye??? If so, then I will move this from discussion to the For Sale area.

Again, I am just checking if anyone, knowing the car, would be interested.

This is due to pressure from within.

ed43c703e7cf8e34c578b0af981dbcb7.jpg

Thanks, Mike

If the car looks as good all around the outside as the photo and if the price is right I would be interested in taking it off your hands. Gonna have to wait till the weather gets better before I would want to drive up to Nebraska.

I already called DIBS on his POS and WE are in Escrow...

as I type!

I'm just waiting for his address to send a transport over and where to send my check!

(Just Kidding... but if he really does wanna ditch it, then I am NOT kidding!)

MIKE, you need to read this entirely and share...

with Mrs. Tavalin as well.... and I am serious.

I have been married for over 48 years and she tells me that its "happily"... and to the SAME woman too! At the time we met things got complicated fast with being 18 and in love, joining the Navy, getting married, having our first son, and a '23 T-Bucket Hot Rod I was building.

The hot rod was pushed aside and never completed and also pushed to three different homes and was not TOUCHED due to money matters, homes, two more kids, college, cabins, property and the like. As for the T, I finally sold it to a retired co-worker after 19 years.

Skip forward 11 years and the second owner completed it and then died 3 years later... Skip forward another 10 years and I come across it in an auto museum... Skip forward another year and its in my garage.

During all this time (46 years later) I worked, grew old, got addicted to these FIATs, had serious issues with my health, the Vietnam War, PTSD, and psychological issues that NOW, in my mid to late 60's am just coming to realize and come to terms with.

One of those was a deep seated RESENTMENT that I never finished that car in my youth and all the years that followed, putting everything else FIRST... as it should be I guess. But I deprived myself and that was NOT fair to me either. I really don't blame (now...) my wife or our kids or the situation we were always in, I blame MYSELF for not finding the time to have my OWN THING as well as the family's and friends, and the Nation, etc.

When it comes to this X1/9 I've cared for over the past 33 years or so... I purchased it used for $4000 dollars and over that period of time have SPENT another $4000 or so taking care of it. I'm pretty sure I can at least get my purchase price back and maybe even double... which would have therefore been NO cost in "dolares" to the family and very little time either.

If we do consider the $4000 divided by 33 years that comes to $121.21 a YEAR. I have spent MORE for ONE ROUND of GOLF for 4 hours...

So... I believe my wife NEVER stood in my way but I did and I did myself no favors. Plus, running around in the Fiat with her has been some great times... with folks waving and the like, plus the feel of enjoying a convertible and being more with nature. I remember one Christmas Eve as we were leaving a family party... bundling up and getting into the car topless with the windows rolled up and the heater full blast... scarves and knit hats and it was our version of a One-Horse Sleigh... Folks looked at us as if we were crazy but you could also sense they were ENVIOUS as well.

Now we are in the process of moving after 37 years in our beautiful home... to an abandoned home that SHE selected and told me that this was the home that was OVER THE TOP and something she dreamed of and always wanted! Attached to it are TWO, TWO CAR garages all open to each other as well as a shop... that you drive into from the outside or from the inside of one of the garages, and its 40 x 60 feet.

She picked it... we can do it financially (God Bless US!) but its also on 2 acres and the property as well as the interior (4200 sq. ft.) is gonna take a lot of work. I'm whirling... as all I ever wanted was a THREE car garage and this property has the ability to park 18 or so undercover without stacking. CRAZY huh... and that'll be great for the 4 cars I currently have and I'm the only one driving these days. I probably will not have a DIME left to purchase any more (not that I need any more...) but I did do myself ONE favor and she agreed;

With her 4200 square feet and my 2400 square feet... WE will spend 3 or 4 days a week working on HER stuff and I will 2 or 3 days a week working on MINE. (I know her stuff will NEVER be finished...) I think that is equitable.

LASTLY and most importantly...

My brother Joe has just completed a 1938 LaSalle Street Rod he has been working on since the late 1970's. It is MIRACULOUS and probably TOO GOOD and VALUABLE to be driven anymore... and I estimate he has about $100,000 dollars invested into it over those 40 years. That comes to about $2500 a year or $200 a month or about 1 1/3 rounds of golf.

My medical costs over the same period of time were $6,000,000 dollars or about $167,000 a year (thank God for good insurance with no cap...) or $14,000 a month... or $466 dollars a day... or almost 4 - 4 hour rounds of golf a day... leaving 8 hours to sleep and start all over again.

My brother calls his car HIS THERAPY... and its hundreds of times cheaper and less stressful on everyone as compared to MY THERAPY.

I leave this now for your consideration... HTH...

Take care of yourself so you can take care of the ones you love... (just like they say on airlines... by covering your mouth and nose first with the O2 mask, and then help those around you.)

I also posted this publicly as it may be of interest to others who may be suffering the same fate.

Tony,
Wow, I do not what to say... except, thanks.
You are absolutely right. I work hard every day so my family can enjoy life more than I did growing up. I need my therapy and my X is my therapy. I will not give up my family or my X without a fight. I deserve everything I have worked for.
Thanks again Tony. You are one great person.
V/r, Mike

Wow! Tony, That was quite a speech. I guess basically what you are telling us is to enjoy life while raising a family. It can be done but it can be tricky. My dad made a lot of concessions to give me a good life when I was growing up. I on the other hand didn’t. Even though I didn’t make a lot of money in my younger days I still managed to have some cool cars and motorcycles while raising our one child in a healthy environment. I saw other guys that had even cooler and more expensive cars and stuff but at the cost of the quality of life to their families. On that sticks in my mind was a guy that had a really radical Corvette dragster. This was in the 70’s and I was doing custom paint work on cars and bikes. I go over to this guy’s house to do some lettering on his car and couldn’t believe the situation. There sat this knock out Vett in a garage full of tools that would make Bernice drool with envy in a neighbor hood that was not that great and the house was a run down stucco with trash in the yard. The wife was at one time cute but looked pretty tired with three kids in dirty tee shirts and faces with runny noses. He was a nice enough guy but I couldn’t warm up to anyone that could spend all that money on a car and let their family live so poorly. My advice is keep the X1/9 and work on it at your leisure but not expense of the family. I mentioned that I made the comment that I might be interested in the X 1/9 to my wife of a mere 47 years and got the squinty eye look. I am not sure if it was for the X1/9 or the possible trip to Nebraska. So if you keep the car you will not only avoid kicking yourself later on but may help me make it to our golden anniversary.

Back