Austin's growing X1/9 population

Colltech

'85 and '83
I went over to Walter's new place in south Austin last night to help him wrench on both his X1/9 projects. He's got tons of room and places to store cars (which in his case is good because he's got a LOT of projects going simultaneously!).

Anyway, it made me realize that Austin, TX now has a growing community of X1/9's. I have two, Walter has two, Ric has one and Dennis has three!

And those are just the ones we know of.

Here's a pic from last night. I thought we had a nice "Christmas" theme going with my new resto silver 83, Walter's lime green 1974 and his red "Little Sister" convertible.

Ed

Great Community!

Here are a few more pictures of our wrenching session. After owning 2 X1/9s and 2 spiders when I was 15 and 16, it had been over 30 years since I had owned a classic Fiat. I thought about them again after bumping into an article on a K20-swapped car. I did some searching and found this forum. I can honestly say that, given the lack of mechanics available to work on these cars, if it was not for this forum I would never have gotten back into the hobby. Ed's willingness to drive to my house after work and help me with my cars from 6 until past 10 last night, plus the help I have received from others here in town and through the forum, is just amazing and makes this hobby a pleasure even when things are not going so well with the cars themselves!

Guys... why not get together at an Auto Show...

with leaflets to hand out or toss in cars looking for others in the area?

You just may be right or find that you have all 7 in the area. Wouldn't cost that much to find out and you guys could all go out to lunch or dinner afterwards... or take a scenic tour somewhere... maybe Miami.

Just a thought...

Well, we are now hooked into the (semi-dysfunctional) Austin FIAT Club and the Houston/San Antonio Clubs as well.

I think I've talked the Austin FIAT dealership into hosting a big event on March 12th. They are "talking" like they will put a budget up for prizes, giveaways, etc.

I have a list of FIAT owners in Austin - I will contact them and see how many vintage FIAT folks are out there.

Ed

HA! Anything Fiat related is...

"semi-dysfunctional"... and that would include their caretakers.

Do keep us informed with text and PHOTOS of how this goes. It is GREAT that the local dealer is supportive but because of the dysfunctional aspects as mentioned prior... do not expect a huge turnout on the first go around. It would be a great step to take and when others see that yur having fun, more and more will join in.

For newcomers to participate immediately though, they'll be purchasing a new 500. That will meet the dealership's goals and you folks will be the clowns and balloons out front drawing in curiosity seekers. That's OK though... you'll be having a great time and I wish I could be there too!

Back