Spare Tire

sjmst

True Classic
I'm not talking about the one around my waist. :rolleyes:
I mean the one we can keep behind the passenger seat. Mine doesn’t have one. I do have an aerosol tire sealer. What's the consensus on this? Is the extra weight worth keeping a spare? Affect performance much?
Thanks
Sam

I'm not talking about the one around my waist. :rolleyes:
I mean the one we can keep behind the passenger seat. Mine doesn’t have one. I do have an aerosol tire sealer. What's the consensus on this? Is the extra weight worth keeping a spare? Affect performance much?
Thanks
Sam

Haven't carried one around in years.... Triple-A card and a cellphone works fine.

The last time one of the X's had a flat, it was both tires on one side so a spare wouldn't have helped anyways.

If we are doing a survey...

I have owned my current car for 24 years, average about 2,000 miles a year, on my second set of tires (Sumitomo), have a spare in the compartment, and never used it. :nod:

I had to check, and yes, my spare is a Pirelli. OEM!

Last edited:
I believe MURPHY was an optimist!

I swear if I toss my spare I will find myself on a desolate road, out of cell phone range, no food or water, and have left my wallet on the dresser.

I also carry tire chains... and have personally kept Southern California free and clear of that white stuff for decades now!

(Someone hasta do it!)

Now that you are fully aware... you better get a spare.... FAST!

Last edited:
I recommend it...

I recommend it for two reasons. Reason one is the wheel/tire weight balances the weight of the fuel tank. Reason two is if you need a tire, will the nearest tire shop have one the right size? In my case, for my vehicles the answer to that is no.

And anyway, I'd rather change the tire and be on my way in less than 10 minutes than sit around for potentially hours waiting for a tow. Especially in a car that A) was designed to carry a spare and B) is easy to change the tire on.

What I do

On my 79 X I have a spare. On my 87 Abarth powered X I have a small compressor and a tire plug kit. Some times you do what you have to do.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

I haven't had my spare on board in about 50,000 miles. I've never needed a spare yet in my life on any car. FWIW, now that I've said this, I'm screwed.:innocent:

I have had several flats (sometimes two at the same time) due to the crappy roads in NY, especially in the winter months.

Fortunately, they have always happened within a couple of miles of home, so I just drove on them. Tires are toast anyway, and the wheels bent (cause of flat) so no loss there.. too dangerous to change a flat on the side of the highway.

Seems like idiots on the road steer towards broken down vehicles. Probably why they made it a law in NY (don't know about other states) that cars must move out of the lane adjacent to emergency & police vehicles on the shoulder.

Back