Hello xwebs

Ananda

True Classic
First off, I really enjoy reading this forum. The level of support and participation and humor is outstanding. I got my Bertone quite a few months ago and have been slowly learning about it mostly through this forum. I was originally looking for the Mini Cooper that was styled by Bertone when I decided to look for a car that was actually designed by Bertone instead. I'm 43 years old and, embarrassingly enough, I have never changed my own oil. The most I have done on a car has Been to replace the radiator in my wife's 2000 Camry. Plan on changing the oil in the X1/9 this week and hopefully to have built a race engine before I'm done on this planet. I have many many questions but they can wait for now. Thanks again to everybody for their generosity on this forum.
726e59749b4ded0c31e4e5a52180f4f2.jpg

Welcome to the insanity

And you'll be an expert in no time.
Keeping 30+ year old cars on the road will ensure that :)

Your X looks great!

The best part of these cars is the simplicity. They're really easy to work on. Ask any question and you're bound to get an onslaught of knowledge.

Just dont listen to that Tony guy, he doesn't even know how to install windshield wipers...

Welcome!

Plan on changing the oil in the X1/9 this week and hopefully to have built a race engine before I'm done on this planet.

Well, you've come to the right place. There's plenty of experienced folk here when it comes to building rocket engines. It's not much harder than changing oil... :wink2:

But don't listen to Tony Natoli, he'll tell you almost anything. Of course most of it is right. hehehehehehe

Cheers,

Rob

'Just dont listen to that Tony guy, he doesn't even know how to install windshield wipers...'

If they're anything like my windshield wipers there's no need to even bother, just leave them off:)

WHOA! I get slammed the minute I turn my back~ HA!

Welcome from me too, anyway!

I see you first lurked back in September and I guess you finally got up the courage to write. I'll not bother you with WSW advice as Mike and Rob and others have pointed out... I hardly ever use them. Mine are stored in the rear trunk and are installed with the top should it ever rain. My top is usually left at home somewhere hidden in the garage as well.

But I will give you a word of advice for 25 cents. JOIN the folks at FIATAMERICA.COM up in your area. Great people with lots of activities and rallies.

When it comes to doing ANYTHING on your car, even before you WASH IT, ask here first as there is someone that knows how to do it better, faster and cheaper. Additionally, when it comes to eating an elephant, I find it best to take one bite at a time.

Let me illustrate a bit here:

CHANGING OIL

Tools needed are 1) Drain Pan, 2) Large Oil Filter Wrench, 3) 19mm Allen Wrench [I think...] , 4) Car Jack, stock or "floor jack" preferred, 5) One or two Jack Stands.

Materials needed are 1) Several Rags, 2) PH7 Fram Filter or equivalent, 3) 4 quarts of Castrol 10w-40w Oil or equivalent. (Oil is easy to find at Walmart for less than 20 bucks but beware they are usually in FIVE quart bottles and you only want FOUR. Use the High Mileage Semi-synthetics for economy and bang for the buck. Filters usually need to be found at a parts store though and I usually pick up a few at a time especially if on sale.)

Process is best to insure the engine is cool, then, 1) Jack up car and place one or two stands under A-Arm mounts for added protection, 2) Loosen the Drain Plug with the Allen Wrench, 3) Loosen the filter with the Filter Wrench, 4) Place Drain Pan under the area, then remove remove the plug and filter entirely, 5) Clean up MESS with Rags, 6) lower car over the Drain Pan so it drains entirely, 7) Clean up MESS with Rags, 8) Jack up car and reinstall plug and filter using a bit of oil on the filter gasket, hand tighten and then tighten another 1/8 turn with the Filter Wrench, 9) Lower car, install FOUR (4) quarts of oil, and 10) Start engine, insure there is oil pressure (light is out), back out the car and finally clean up the remaining MESS with Rags.

Piece o' cake, huh!

Welcome again and HTH!

Last edited:
One Quibble

I have always thought it best to change oil when the engine has been at full operating temperature for at least 15 minutes if not more.

The theory behind this is that hot oil flows better than cold so more of the old oil will have a chance to flow out.

When I bought the car it was said not to have any oil leaks but had been mostly sitting for some years (Larry on here from the south bay would know best) but the hour drive home to Oakland squeezed out a fair bit of fluid (assuming it's oil) it leaked for a few weeks, not enough to add more oil, but haven't been able to drive much with the top off because of the burning fumes. Finally got the floor jack and Jack stands to get underneath and clean it off. Can't wait to get the top off for some proper cruising!
Thanks for the advice, will hit the auto parts store asap and get to work.

Last edited:
Absolutely correct....!

.....I have always thought it best to change oil when the engine has been at full operating temperature for at least 15 minutes if not more.
The theory behind this is that hot oil flows better than cold so more of the old oil will have a chance to flow out

Draining oil when the engine is HOT has been the recommendation since before Henry Ford was born!! :nod:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Thanks! Now I feel confident, soon we will find out if it is just contact confidence from reading about y'all's amazing work . BTW, just read Gérard's thread about the Toyota engine swap and I see someone in my neighborhood is selling a newly built race prepped 4ag engine rated 250hp, anybody want to help me do the swap?

Toyota 4AGE race motor aka Toyota Atlantic Formula race series engines are rated for 12 race hours, about 250 Bhp, 9.500 RPM with a rather narrow power band. To take full advantage of this race motors's narrow power band, specific gearing to match the power band of this engine must be used.

Not gonna make a good street-performance engine in any motor vehicle. These are not low cost to run either.

IMO, there are much better power train choices available for the exxe if that is the goal.

What is the goal for this exxe ?

Bernice

Thanks! Now I feel confident, soon we will find out if it is just contact confidence from reading about y'all's amazing work . BTW, just read Gérard's thread about the Toyota engine swap and I see someone in my neighborhood is selling a newly built race prepped 4ag engine rated 250hp, anybody want to help me do the swap?

Alright, that is both sobering and inspiring. Thanks Bernice!
My first goal is to learn to keep this car happy and healthy. That would be great and would probably be enough for me to die pretty happy. That said, I have been inspired by rjplenter's 1603cc engine build and feel drawn to wanting to dip my toes into those type of waters at some point. Also would like to get suspension and brakes as amazing as possible. I think they are basically good but I would like them to be outstanding.
Hopefully I will see and ride in other people's cars. That would give me a better sense of where mine is on the scale. Larry Sacks has told me that my car is well put together, probably some of the people on this forum are familiar with it. I hear that Chris Obert stripped it down and put it back together. It has over 120k miles on it and it pretty much feels like it does. Getting used to driving a 30 year old car is taking a little longer than I imagined. But I am beginning to really like it.

Cheers!

I agree boyz... but I said COOL, meaning not too...

hot to work with. I don't want him to burn himself the first time under that car, especially if there is a CAT.

I probably needed to word that better but then YOU TWO would have nothing to beat me up with!

HAHAHAHA!

Welcome...
I have got no advise except to take the advise of the folks here. Everyone has been very patient with me and I have learned a lot from them. My next project will test their patients (again), brake and clutch master cylinder replacement.
Have the stuff just need it to warm up outside a bit.
Again, welcome.
Mike
1986 X
bf09a1b3f3427b7c59938d9ee8429115.jpg

Thanks for all the warm welcomes.
Here is a list of some of the projects I have inherited with this car:
Replace the plastic coolant tank with the stainless steel one that came with the car.
Driver side window rolls up too far, so replacing whatever limiter keeps it up to the right height, or replacing power windows with hand cranks.
Repair the weather stripping on the left driver side where it leaks in the rain which I found out the hard way in this niño weather.
Figure out if and where it's leaking oil.
Replace a few of the clips on the interior door panel.
Install the rear window brake light

welcome

welcome in our little home :)

BTW , if you own a old x1/9 ....you will become a mechanic in no time !
when i buyed mine, i didn;t knew how to change the oil too .....
just be patience , in short time you'll be able to give advices :)

PS. Tony is always right in what he say , just ignore the "ha" :))))

HA !

Not too far away.

I am down in Milpitas, not too far away from you. Drop me a line if you need a hand on something.

Back