Oil filter

TOOKOOL

Daily Driver
Hello guys;

I have a 79 x that has been leaking oil from the can filter area since I
had the car, about 15 yrs. I had many other serious problems than that
so I never really looked into it. I can't find a reason for the leak. The surface area it mounts to is flawless, smooth and no nicks. I tighten it to 3/4 turn after the gasket touches the mating surface. I have put many filters on before and never had one to leak every time. I have always changed my oil myself. The last time I took it in for an oil change and told the service guy that it has a leak. He never mentioned he saw a problem and I did not ask. Any suggestions would be really helpful, thanks.

Best;
Sammy

Ditto,
cambox suspect too maybe, you might want to clean the area thoroughly, spread talcum powder all over the area and go for a drive and see if that helps pin point it

Distributor shaft seal is a possibility too. There are a lot of leak points around that corner of the motor.

if you JUST changed the filter, be sure the old gasket did not get left behind, I know it sound to simple, but I have done it and it did not leak for a few day's. And then boy did it leak a few day's later.

OK Sammy... If its bothering you that much...

Time to take some positive action.

Clean the engine top to bottom using ZEP Orange Citrus cleaner and hose pressure. (Bag the Dizzy... make sure your drains are clear under the pods also.)

Dry off using atmosphere, compressed air or my favorite, a leaf blower.

Now DUST all the suspected areas with BABY POWDER.

In a drive or a week or two... you'll find the source of your leak.

I tend to agree with others that the filter is not the CAUSE, but the EFFECT (SUSPECT) and just got in the way.

Lastly, its usually recommended that one smears a bit of oil on the gasket before installing the new filter. I smear mine with grease, any kind that is handy. Also on the threads... and it makes "hand tightening" go so much smoother. Then I use a filter wrench for another 1/8 turn. Never had one fail.

Brilliant

Tony, you're brilliant. A leaf blower. I normally use a low profile fan under the car and allow it to blow up through the engine bay. I'll be right over to borrow the leaf blower. Does your lawn mower have gas? I may need that as well.

Back