Blast from the past: SeattleX1/9 gathering 2001

bjwhite

True Classic
From late March 2001, SeattleX1/9 gathering. I don't remember who was there, or who's house this was although I seem to remember it was south sound.....Olympia or Lacey or somewhere?

My Scorpion is the grey one--now located in Calgary owned by a former X1/9 owner, Warren Horbachewski. Warren had a french blue X1/9 with yellow wheels. He wanted to trade so this guy in the Seattle area bought my Scorpion, then traded it to Warren for his X1/9. I have no idea whatever happened to that X, but Warren still has my Scorpion last I heard.

I seem to have a vague memory of the white Scorpion. Guy was the original owner but sold it in the early 80s...then years later found it again in Tacoma and it was really clean. Something like that. Some of you may know some of these people.

The blue X1/9 has some V6 conversion..I think a GM variety of some kind. 5 lug wheels on the rear, 4 on the front. Hacked together but very well and I bet it was killer fast. I seem to remember an automatic transmission? Anyway..... I'm sure others can fill in details. I thought I'd share these pictures I found recently.

23339595264_734262aa08_h.jpg

23885292871_03259dc0df_h.jpg

23967832445_e1193aefec_h.jpg

23341023853_ff0a17c434_h.jpg

23672145520_81482ccdb1_h.jpg

23967829035_3b2b83f469_h.jpg

23672142830_a4e6b7de78_h.jpg

23672141610_5dab3f8240_h.jpg

Great shots. Got more?

I notice Mac's black X1/9 in the photo, and Photo #6 shows Mac himself to the left with the black coat reaching out holding
a FI harness or hose. (can't tell)
Rare photos.

Vintage photos

Great shots, lots of Scorps than X's!
Bob your right about Mac in the shot, maybe a young Ulix behind him.
That looks like Steves Ambrose red turbo X next to Wayne's tornado blue X. I also see John Allen in the background. I wasn't at those early gatherings but enjoyed meeting each of them soon after at Wayne's place.

Thanks for posting Bj

Hi Jeff,
I think young Ulix may have just lert the country at that point (March 2001).
The picture shows young Gregory with Mac and maybe Wayne (V6 X). :)

That was my thought as well Ulix... Gregory...

Smith just behind Mac... and Wayne Wright's V6 with the split case Tornado Trans and flipped Final Drive.

Every time I see that I think ab out..."He coulda had a V8!"

Seattle X at Wayne's 9-11-06

BJ's pics at Wayne's reminded me of when I was there in 2006. Here are some photos I took. Not sure of all of the owners as I was not a regular attendee. Mine is the silver X. Greg Smith's maroon Monza X was there as well as John Allen's green '74 FI Megasquirt conversion.

Bumpers

Hey,

I got the same bumpers as the black cars on the pic #5 of Rodger. I was wondering if it was a custom set, but it's been the third time I'm seeing the same look. A single blade, shorten to show the yellow front markers. Anybody knows if it was sold as a kit or if it was just a "popular" modification?

Daniel Forest
Montreal, Canada

It was and still is a Popular Mod...

In the 5th photo, the black car with the FIAT white stripe is Mike Middelstead's and if he was not THE first, he was one of the first to modify a '75 - '78 ladder-bar bumper. I believe all the materials came from the factory bumpers except the brackets may have been modified or replaced.

A fun project consuming a few hours, not much money and makes a big difference in looks... and in performance. By performance I mean, the factory version actually WORKED at protecting the car... the modified version will still work, but not as well, but better than the '74 blades n' blocks, but not as good as the '79s and up.

Hey, that's Il Mela Verde

It must have been while Wayne still owned it. Mark Plaia bought it from Wayne, and I bought it from Mark.

AFAIK it's not a John Allen Megasquirt. The Megasquirt is standard with its own wiring harness. I believe John Allen made all of his inside the Bosch box and used the stock wiring harness.

The 74 with the red hood

is mine (Peter Mahr from Portland OR). The hood is now green as well and the engine is an 82 FI 5 speed which I just got installed and running.

Is this a regular occurance? I am new here... just got my x1/9 last week, but im in Seattle and would love to meet up and see the others in the area!

Yes that's me...

That's me with Mac, the black Zagato is my '81 Lancia "Budget" Zagato. Ulix, I thought we went to that event together, but maybe it was a previous one at Wayne's earlier place, the trip was memorable because I was having fuel pump problems.

Seattle and surrounding area...

It certainly would be nice to meet some local X-ers here in the area. I've met some here so far by selling stuff or just being interested in it. My understanding is that the xwebforums were started back in the olden days by some NW'ers. I wasn't lurking around these parts in those days, but if my internet searches are right, a guy named "Mac" started this forum in 1998 for fellow crazy X1/9 people.

There's also a broader Fiat Enthusiasts Northwest club (FEN) that appears active and meets - in the south sound mostly I think.

It'd be cool to get the locals in the PNW (BC, WA, OR) with X1/9's to get together somewhere in the summer. I see every once in a while some Oregon events happening, but I've not yet attended.

Just thought I'd add to the conversation.

PS: I'm personally also in the California bay area at least two weeks a month (for work) and would dig meeting some of those guys too. To date, I've only met with Tim (aka 'fiatmonkey') and that was for like 20 minutes cuz he was super busy at work. He's a fellow K20A2 swapper.

Mel, Darin... there is nothing "regular"...

about any of our cars, people, or meetings.

When it comes to us old farts, there is nothing "regular" about us either.

Darin... you need to get in touch with FiatAmerica.com folks in your area. These wonderful people are over 100 strong and have several events monthly. Tell them I sent you for a discount.

Mel... you are literally SURROUNDED by great folks up there in the Great PNW... There used to be an annual summer event at Lake Howard Prairie with about 50 - 100 cars attending. Try Mirafiori.com or ask here if that still happens.

Also, both of you, start a new thread with at least your City listed and ask if you could meet with others locally. X1/9ers are like herding cats though... but with a bowl of milk, Pizza & Beer, or Coffee & Donuts... you can attract one, or some of them to your door...

Welcome to both of you!

I also remember a bunch of us getting on a cut up X that was basically a floorplan only with drivetrain installed and bouncing around driving in the field in the back. haha...probably 6 or 8 of us on the car? haha...

Hahaha! Yep, that's it. I'm the guy in the back with the goatee and the watch on. That's hilarious....

How about 5 people between the doors.

after school girl freinds mom locked her keys in the s-wagon. So we all piled in(well on to) Fred (my x) and motored home at about 15-20 mph (could only reach 1/2nd)

school bus behind us was fussing on their P.A. thing. No problem my stereo was WAY louder!! oh the good times/memories around a car like this.!!!

(oh and Mom got a complaint call about what her daughter was doing. She told them what happened and she was one of the five in the car.)

I wonder how many stories like this people have. Let's hear them if you have them. Wish I had a picture like the one above. Those are GREAT smiles of good times!!!

Cool :)

I am the guy in the frunk with glasses.
That is MacX, the car that Bob Brown is restoring.
Mac is at the wheel and Gregory next to you.

Back