doors

mikemo90

True Classic
does any body know of a supplier for lambo style hinges for the x?
I have searched the web, and got nothing but more search engines that lead me down a trotted path to nowhere. superfluous, I know, but I want the black beauty stand out. as it is, it will have a one piece rear engine/trunk cover, and I kinda wanted to go over the top on her.
god knows I still have a long way to go, but if I can do this before the final paint I will do so.
mikemo

The is a company called 3gcustomz at a .com that sells a kit. You will have fabricate the hinges to work on the X doors. They deal in custom Chrysler products more than anything.
V/r, Mike

memories .....

I inherited a haunted 71 tbird from my grandmother, had rear suicide doors, I love weird stuff like that, especially when it's so "superfluous" as you say, one might also call it "pimp" Lol.....

STUPIDITY stands out as well, Mike...

Lambo Doors on Lambos made some kinda sense as they were not GULLWINGS (which are stupid even on Mercs) or GUILLOTINES (which are stupid on GT40's, especially if yur not wearing a helmet)... because Lambo Doors were DESIGNED as SCISSOR DOORS to go straight UP like the legs of a grasshopper or cockroach. (Cockroach, Countach, same thing?)

Lambo Doors had a purpose because they hadta be sooooo long for the driver to ingress and egress from an almost prone position, it made them almost impossible to open fully in a typical parking lot. Alas... let them go straight UP! Brilliant... as if a Lambo in any form needed to "stand-out" any more than they already do.

Now here is the really STUPID part... adding Lambo-type scissor hinges to a door not designed to pivot straight up. First one must OPEN the door OUT, then lift it UP or UP and OUT. To close it, one must now reach up and pull it down, and then slam it shut...

Stand out you will, first when you drive up, and then when you open the door and push it up. Best to be wearing some kinda Darth Vader outfit and entertaining children at a birthday party. Bring balloons.

Your friend always...

Tony

Tony,
The good after-market designs go both ways. They will either open out and then up or open normally as designed from the factory. Also, I believe that the designers anticipated the lambo-coolness to ware off after the first few times used. Most only use them for shows or just to show off. Knew a Genesis Coup owner in Korea that had them and he never used them.
V/r, Mike

good laugh today....

OMG Tony, that's too funny, and that GIF too......
I say F-it, go for it....hell I lowered my car, and I can't even get in and out of it with my bad back......when people see me get in and out, they ask me if I'm alright, after all the grunting I do- LOL

lambo doors

ok boys, point taken!!
I remember a customer coming into the shop that had a lambo kit on his2005 escalade, and tho cool, the doors rocked all over the place.
also thought about "suicide" doors, but the amount of bodywork involved was intense at best to get the rear of the door to clear the quarter panel. nuff said.
motor in, paint on ,and drive the piss outta her:excited:
mikemo

Agreed... and that is a great OPTION...

If its primarily used to just open OUT, and then used to open OUT and UP should there be a clearance issue, that works in my mind without being ridiculous.

But let's be honest, most wanna use them to open UP for the WOW-FACTOR!

Yeah, but that "Wow Factor" wears off after the first week. Then you realize that you waisted your money and only use it around friends or shows.
Not that I ever did something like that... Oh no.
Mike

does any body know of a supplier for lambo style hinges for the x?
I have searched the web, and got nothing but more search engines that lead me down a trotted path to nowhere. superfluous, I know, but I want the black beauty stand out. as it is, it will have a one piece rear engine/trunk cover, and I kinda wanted to go over the top on her.
god knows I still have a long way to go, but if I can do this before the final paint I will do so.
mikemo

That will be a lot of work and while I don't particularly care for that style I say go for it if it is what you want. Every year we have different car groups come through our town at different times for their annual get togethers. We get VW's, Porches, Vett's, Ferrari's and many more including PT Cruisers. They all get their day in the sun with a Saturday after noon parade. Imagine if you can twenty to thirty PT Cruisers parading through town and about half of them with their Lambo style doors open to show them off. Like I said it is not a style I like but I am sure the Lambo doors will look a lot better on an X1/9 than on a PT Cruiser.

I agree... a few years back a member of my...

Corvette Club purchased a brand new C6 with every option available from GM as well as the aftermarket.

He shows up one month at a meeting and shares his new found Lambo hinges he had installed on his car... and how others could do the same and where to get them.

I think there was complete silence from the 75 people in the room...

I also hadta go out and see him get into the car with the out and up, two-step process that was now required. HA!

squeezing in

a good friend of mine bought a Kellison. fiber glass body on a 1957 Chevy frame. sits lower that a GT-40 and he has a large frame too, and to get in and out is a ballet so to speak. I have a time getting in and out with my skinny little butt.
so I will let thing be as they are and enjoy!!
mikemo

Kellison cars are crazy looking. I have never heard of them. The best kit I have ever seen.
Oh, glad you have been persuaded against X with lambo style doors.
Mike

Back