Oil Change

Hi guys

I used to change the oil and filter every year, does not matter how many miles I drove, around 1k to 1500 per year, Every January of every year but I reviewed the odometer and just I drove my X1/9 for 800 miles this year, also oil still yellowed.

What do you think, replace the oil and filter or leave for an other year?

I don't know if this oil will make gum into the engine.

Regards.

Same question for me

I do abut 300 mi/yr....?:hypno: GTX 20w50
I only drive in the summer........

I will change...

I do abut 300 mi/yr....?:hypno: GTX 20w50
I only drive in the summer........

I talked with a friend by phone few minutes ago and we discussed about change or not this oil, maybe could make gum for weather, or if has dust will work as a sandpaper.

I'll change oil and filter, tomorrow I will feel happy for that. :)

I agree Ricky... filters are not that expensive...

and I... being Mr. Frugal... purchase a few at a time when they go on sale.

Like everything else... you don't exercise the car enough and the oil absorbs the water in the air when it just sits there. Condensation in the pan like condensation in the tank contaminates the oil and gas as well. If its driven and heated up... it will evaporate if used normally. In your case... its turning to gummy-sludge-y, foamy stuff.

With so few miles driven annually... I'd suggest changing your HABITS or changing your OIL twice a year... and the filter once a year. Definitely change both this time though.

Personally, I would leave it. Just be sure to drive it far enough once a month to full heat the system up completely to evaporate any water that may condense in the engine during lots of short drives.

It's not like you live in a damp cold environment which would be the primary reason you would get a lot of moisture in the system.

I would leave it, filter and all

You're in the driest parts of the country, so you're not going to have moisture to deal with. If the oil is still amber in color, leave it.
Oil is purified and processed before you get it, so if it' not dirty from use and you've not over-heated it, leave it.
Oil is a few million years old, so it doesn't spoil just sitting there. A couple years won't make a difference. :2c:

Karl, Bob... I must admit I did not read Ricky's...

post accurately, as I guess I added words in my mind like "yellow foam and scum or gum". As you folks read correctly, he simply meant that the oil was still a pure yellow and not blackening.

I do digress though... even though oil in the ground will remain good for millions of years, it can become contaminated just being exposed to air and moisture.

For a quick illustration of what I'm saying... go blow a head gasket. :fart:

Last edited:
Once a year

I have gone to new oil and filter once a year, just before parking for winter maintenance, (if you call what we get in Vancouver winter?). Now using Joe Gibbs Driven HR 15w50, do some home work.

I do Mine...

Once a year also, but I do it at spring wake-up to be sure any condensed moisture is flushed away.
Just my :2c:

Um, no...

Oil doesn't absorb water from the air.

It can, in an engine, mix with condensation, combustion moisture, and coolant leaks. This is why you must run it hot for an hour or so every so often, or risk contamination and corrosion from moisture in the oil.

If you don't make short trips, it won't have most of the problems with moisture. I'd change it every 3K miles unless you do run it for short periods, in which case you should change it more often, by the 3 month schedule perhaps.

Well Greg, I guess that is what I meant, sort of...

"Oil and water don't mix"... but then they kinda do too.

The water that is in the air condenses and clings to the innards of the pan and other areas and when FORCED to mix, contaminates the oil.

It also kinda rests on top of the oil and eventually sinks to the bottom. This problem is found in many large (Emergency) Diesel Generator Storage Tanks... especially over many years... and with only short periods of running. It is BEST to top off these tanks and cover to prevent the problem. I know my example is extreme but the basis is the same, I believe.

BTW... How's that pizza oven of yours doing?

I would tend to agree.

Just running the engine, there is some measure of blowby gases, crankcase gases being recycled, condensation from the difference in engine vs. ambient temps, etc. Maybe it's not so bad in your local climate, but I can't believe you have no moisture in the air?

Either way, I would consider it cheap insurance to change the oil & filter yearly. Some years I have put practically no miles (maybe a few hundred) on the X, I still change the oil & filter anyway, it just seems a worthwhile safety precaution.

I think this topic is akin to choices of spark plugs - everyone has a different opinion ;)

Back