Nice restomod X1/9 on Speedhunters

myronx19

True Classic
Restomod - nice!!
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/01/jdm-restomod-of-an-italian-classic/[/FONT]

Love The Comments...

Millennials now discovering the X-1/9?

Nice ride, I'd love to know how it's powered.

Comments

I see in the comments that a lot of people aren't impressed because it's a copy of a gen 1 MR2 or a 914.

So, what exactly came first and if anybody did any copying, who copied who?

That's tasty.

This is how I think it goes....
X1/9 runabout (autiobiachi concept) debuted in '69 production X was '72 (in Europe anyway)
914 from '70, I don't know how far back it's design roots go
MR2 was copied from the X as was the Fiero

I don't think of the X1/9 being so ground breaking design wise so much as it was pulling it off in an affordable package

Well, the exxe IS a "ground breaking" design in many ways.

What made the exxe special is packaging, chassis rigidity, chassis dynamics (suspension), crash strength all in a mass produced car at modest cost.

Previous to the exxe, it was widely believed that the mid-engine chassis layout is not suitable for daily transportation due to space utilization, difficult to service due to power train location and numerous other perceived problems with any mid-engine chassis at the time.

The folks at Bertone including Gandini changes all that. To this day, compare the exxe to any mid-engine chassis for space utilization, ability to carry stuff, passenger-driver ingress-egress, driver's forward and corner visibility, serviceability (some will dis-agree.. try wrenching on a Ferrari or similar), structural strength in a crash and overall chassis rigidity.

These are many of the first introduced to the world as what a small mid-engine chassis could be. It answered and solved the majority of these inherent problems with the mid-engine layout very nicely. Few mid-engine chassis to this day can match what the exxe delivers in a small package.

Porsche 914 appeared slightly before the exxe, but it has a very different mid-engine layout being north-south, vs the east-west in the exxe. After the exxe, most everything else appeared, MR2, Fiero, Elise-Exige-Evora, MGF, Alfa Rome 4C and .....

Bernice

That's tasty.

I don't think of the X1/9 being so ground breaking design wise so much as it was pulling it off in an affordable package

Back