MWB Tech Post - 128 Springs (again)

Hey folks,

Use the chart below as a handy reference when trying to figure out what spring set you want to use on your 128.

Because of North America / Euro / Engine Change ride height tweaks, there are probably 5 more springs that could fit somewhere in-between in this photo, but these are most of the usual suspects.

springs.jpg

-M

I will raise you one...

There are two types of Yugo springs. GV plus had longer springs. If you look at some file photo's you will see they sit up higher than the earlier cars. I have a pair, I'll see if I can get a measurement.

Exactly...

The 1300 + 5-Spd in the GV+ likely did have a different height and rate due to the (slightly) heavier driveline. Any info is appreciated!

There's also likely a difference between 128 SL 1971-73, 1974-75, and 3P 1976-on, Strada/Ritmo, with additional Euro / USA variants :sigh:

-M

Last edited:
springs

to lower my 128 wagon I put rear X springs (11.5") on in place of the stock springs (19.75"). No wonder the poor car was bottoming out all the time. I have ordered the Euro 128 springs from Matt and it will be interesting to see how the front of the car sits. With the heavy 1976 bumpers removed and the battery moved to the back I have removed some serious weight from the front which only aggravates the height situation. Thankfully it's silly easy to adjust the rear height of a 128.

How many vendors would make a display like this and then present it to a forum?

carl

What you really want is the 7.5 wind springs 128 coupe springs...and the front will sit really nice... but you'll still need to shorten the top spring mount assembly to compensate, or there will be limited travel before the bump stop bottoms. DO NOT shorten the rubber section, you want that to be soft and compliant, but shorten the steel tube section to allow for extra travel.

Strada / ritmo (sohc) is unique for length ... and also has offset spring mounts

SteveC

Nice roundup!

I haven't yet delved into my manuals to look for the answer... Do the springs all share the same wire diameter and coil diameter? I would think coil diameter would be common to keep strut parts interchangable but I could see wire diameter changing a bit to affect spring rate. It would be interesting to tabulate the rates along with the free lengths. The variation on number of coils might yield some interesting combos of rate and free length (and thus ride height).

Back