For All My So-Cal Budz, Hey Tony

Red Bull 78

True Classic
See what happens in Kentucky, when you try to get in one more drive, before it goes back into the garage for the Winter. :wall::wall::wall:
It was 70 F, at noon and drizzling rain. 12 hours later, we got this and it's still blowing in.
Well, at least I'll find out where "else" it "leaks, beside the Brakes.

Doesn't "Ruby" look great in the snow? :):dance2::dance::woot:

Oh wow... My X is comfy in the garage at about 31 F. It is currently -2 out in Nebraska. She starts, which is tempting but I do not dare get her out with all the salt and sand on the road. I am having a hard enough time getting ahead of the current rust as it is. I do not want more to deal with.

And, btw... that is a pretty color with the snow. You have a beautiful X.
Always sounds weird saying that... Oh well.
V/r, Mike

While I happily live in Austin TX now, I bought my first X in 1974 when I lived in NYC and drove to Vermont every weekend. Between Vermont and South Bend IN where I went to school, that 74 saw more snow than skimobile.

I had a set of Metzler winter tires and that thing was like a snow cat. Between the engine sitting over the drive wheels and the skinny tires cutting through the snow in front, it was virtually unstoppable. Many the time I flew past "lesser cars" on the side of the road stuck in a snow bank.

The only thing that would stop me was when the snow depth exceeded the cars ground clearance.

X's are great snow cars!

Ed

WOW... Is that one of those "Dust Storms" Tom?

I've heard of them but have never seen one. I thought they were HOT blowing winds though. I'm always learning...

On a serious note... we have been getting some NEEDED rain here in good doses but not anything that is killing us. Sure, the wealthy folks living on PCH continue to have slides but that happens when it drizzles too. We got about 2 inches in a few hours which may not sound like much... but that was the rainfall for an entire year in the last few. We are expecting more every other day now...

Stay warm my friend...

Ruby's Paint Job

Some shade of Candy Ruby Red over Silver metalflake.

PO called it "Thunderbird Red Metallic". Blacktooth thinks it's Ford "Currant Metallic", or something like that.

The "Red Bull" hates when I call her "Ruby" and will probably break something else now. But it's not just about the paint job. It's also in homage to the Red '47 Chevy Coupe my Dad was driving when he met Mom.

Worse Case Scenario

If I did have to drive it in the snow, I have a set of Studded Snow Tires already mounted on Alloy Rims and a Set of "Snow Cables" that fit both my cars with 13 inch rims. Both are running 185 60R 13's so One size fits all, once adjusted.

But that's what my 92 Corolla "Beater" is for. The Geo is Squirrelly in the rain and too light for snow.

I just want to get the X off the street before some fool slides into it.

But, it's also a good time to find an empty parking lot and practice my "Moonshiner Turns". :wink2::grin:

Ditto that

When I was stationed in Germany in the early '80s, I had taken my '79 with me and it was the only car I had for the first couple of years there. I had a set of snow tires and would head to Austria or Switzerland every other weekend to go skiing. I was always amazed at how much traction the X had in the snow. Never needed chains even though I carried them.

I had mounted some ski clamps onto the luggage rack on the trunk and used to carry the skis sideways across the car. They stuck out a few inches on either side, but about the same as the mirrors. One time I got stopped at the Austrian border (before the EU) and the border police said I couldn't carry the skis like that since they stuck out past the sides of the car. It was about 11 pm and I only had about an hour and a half drive to the resort. It wasn't snowing, so I popped the top, stuck the tail of the skis in the passenger foot well and the tips out the top, put on my parka, turned up the heat full blast and kept going. The next day, I was able to figure out a way to mount them on the rack lined up the long way with the car by turning the rack around 180 degrees. No hassles after that. Fun times.:)

Going straight through snow isn't too bad but heaven help you if you have to turn or stop. Mine with it's "lightened" front end (debumpered) and 185/60 tires heads straight for the ditches at the first sign of snow/ice. It's put away (this winter).

Back