Marchionne officially announce Fiat 124 Spider

At least they could have...

...used some of the sexy lines of the classic 124/Spider 2000....It is just a Miata. I like Miatas....but....just a waste of time and lack of effort by Fiat, IMHO. :)

...used some of the sexy lines of the classic 124/Spider 2000....It is just a Miata. I like Miatas....but....just a waste of time and lack of effort by Fiat, IMHO. :)

That pic is just a PS the writer did and there have been no official pics or designs released yet so don't get too upset...yet. I am hoping for something italian looking...

The test mules have had a Fiat Multi Air Turbo in them. All of the mules used the same cobbled body that was used by Mazda during their test regime.

Mazda was very good at keeping the actual car out of the public eye all the way until three days before it was actually introduced.

Hopefully Fiat will do as well in keeping it under wraps.

Of course if it will wear the 124 Spider moniker, one has to hope it will have some relationship to the past. I have seen a number of decent renders but given the changes to modern crash and pedestrian impact requirements we are unlikely to see bit round headlights projecting forward like the original cars.

I am certain it won't just be a rebadged Miata. It will be a bespoke Fiat design, just not one done by Pinninfarina :sigh:

Since the rumours surfaced ive wondered why Mazda would bother to collaborate and give up their tech for a car that will likely be their biggest competitor. Maybe if they get a bit of$ for each one sold...? Anyhow now im thinking the Fiat may end up as a more expensive option over the Miata, perhaps competing with the Honda s 2000...does Honda still make that?

They will - the article just slapped some Fiat badges on a Miata - that's not the up and coming car.

I'm hoping it will look more like this:
zsopzem4g194k9nqb0l2.jpg

Nothing much new in that article, he even admits that the image is just his own poor execution of photo shop.

Been watching this project for a while now and I too have yet to find any real Fiat renderings of the proposed product.

The guess that the Mazda power train won't be used is a no brainer but I had seen conjecture that the Alfa Spider 1750 engine was being considered [ which I doubt] over the Multi Air Turbo.

But there was this conjecture that an Abarth version would have the bigger Alfa engine.
http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2015/fiat/fiat-confirms-124-spider-name-49653?intref=sr-ed-news

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/alfa-romeo/spider/65580/new-alfa-romeo-spider-due-2015

One of the reasons that FCA went to Japan on a joint project was they wanted an Alfa Spider on a rear wheel drive floor pan and they had been out of that game for so long with all their front wheel drive packaging. That it went to Fiat is Sergio Marchionne understanding that the Alfa Romeo brand needs to BE Italian to be premium segment which is where it is looking like it will be targeted. There is some home grown sentiment and he has made comment in the past that it will be so. That the agreement reportedly states that they will be built in Hiroshima, the MX5 will go first and the Alfa [now 124] will go to market 12 months later might have something to do with that. Can you for example imagine trying to sell a 'Premium Alfa' to an Italian if it was made in Japan.

So did Mazda get suckered into thinking it would be an Alfa so Fiat Groups RWD Giorgio platform program could bleed input from the joint venture with Japan or did the Board change their mind and make it a Fiat after market research showed the Vox Populi thought that Alfa should be all Italian?

'Back in February a company insider told Autoexpress “all Alfa Romeos need to be 100 per cent Italian”. That backs up Marchionne’s earlier comments that no Alfa would be built outside Italy on his watch.'

The new RWD 'Giulia' [not the name said to be announced] will make its world debut in Milan on June 24 – a date, which marks the historic Italian brand's 105th birthday. That is the first big step for Alfa as the long-overdue 159 replacement is based on that all-new rear/all-wheel drive platform. By 2018 FCA intend to have 8 models base upon it, I guess that is where all that money from the part sell off of Ferrari is going . A return to rear wheel drive. Yippie !!!

I like that Pininfarina's Alfa Spider concept rendering Tim, the Aussie motor report had a nice article late last year. Enough styling cues in the front end that invoke the old 124.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/60...da-based-roadster-but-project-not-dead-report

There were these images and I hated them [hate is such a strong word] looked like a BMW Roadster rear and a MX5 front, yuck.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/fiat/90395/new-fiat-124-spider-confirmed-as-fiats-mx-5

Honda S2000...does Honda still make that?
Sadly No 1999 - 2009

But there was this

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2014/honda/s2000/honda-resurrects-s2000-45104

Last edited:
Here are a few images of the Fiat Turbo engine in one of the test mules:

topb0wjo08beeuasy0kn.jpg

pcwwdnblwtfttab3xscn.jpg

The test mules were uuuuuugggglllllyyyy.

licgwnoh29t0vmebpi6l.jpg

Somebody please help me

Send a note to Sergio, that grille and curves are not Fiat enough, this is more like it:

Shares development costs, economies of scale, future collaboration and investment. Mazda was jettisoned by Ford, they are independent now and a small fish -- they need partners.

Mazda will also be assembling the 124 Spider for Fiat in Hiroshima.

There has been no accurate rendering yet of the 124 Spider, all graphics are independent artist's impression, or in this case, a joke.

The 124 Spider will use the new MX-5 chassis and suspension, which had input from both Mazda and FCA.

The 124 Spider's powertrain will be Fiat, the exterior sheet metal and interior will both be 124 Spider specific and designed by Fiat Centro Stile. It was the most efficient way for FCA to get back into the game.

The original collaboration to build an Alfa was a mis-step by Marchionne. He later (correctly) concluded that premium cars like Alfa Romeo (or Maserati, for that matter) need to be Made in Italy; the customer expects that. Mass market brands like Fiat can be assembled globally.

If they nail the styling of the new Fiat 124 Spider, it will be a big hit and a Fiat to be proud of. This car, together with the 500X, are going to take Fiat to the next level in the US.

By the way, insiders have told me the car will borrow styling ques from the original Fiat 124 Spider.

Here are a few images of the Fiat Turbo engine in one of the test mules:

topb0wjo08beeuasy0kn.jpg

pcwwdnblwtfttab3xscn.jpg

The test mules were uuuuuugggglllllyyyy.

licgwnoh29t0vmebpi6l.jpg

Looks just like the Multiair motor in my Abarth. That tells me a 1.7 turbo might pssibly be retrofitted to a 500?? :dance:

They need to correct a few situations that exist currently before I would ever consider another new FIAT! Most parts for my 500 sport are still not available.. Like the poorly designed lower control arms that don't last a year here in Buffalo NY.

Last summer my car sat at the dealer for over a month wating on the new control arms. I would need to see that situation turned around 100% before Ill buy another.

whats worse the things are rattling again,, its been like 6 months,, I don't drive it that hard "still has alot of tread on the original tires".

Love the Idea though of owning a 1969 and a 2016 fiat 124 spider :)

Consider that most of the parts under the skin will be Mazda parts, you will likely be able to go to the Mazda dealer for new driveline parts that are not Fiat (i.e. nothing relative to the turbo engine)

Personally I will have no qualms about a Mazda built 124 Spider with a Fiat motor...

Ouch, what's the deal with the lower control arms?

I'll have to mention this to a friend with Fiat USA connections.

They need to correct a few situations that exist currently before I would ever consider another new FIAT! Most parts for my 500 sport are still not available.. Like the poorly designed lower control arms that don't last a year here in Buffalo NY.

Last summer my car sat at the dealer for over a month wating on the new control arms. I would need to see that situation turned around 100% before Ill buy another.

whats worse the things are rattling again,, its been like 6 months,, I don't drive it that hard "still has alot of tread on the original tires".

Love the Idea though of owning a 1969 and a 2016 fiat 124 spider :)

I don't think the problem is exactly with lower control arms, it's that there are long waiting times for parts. Have heard the same on simple stuff like brake pads and rotors and spark plugs. Even the special Mopar/FIAT OAT coolant my Abarth calls for took a visit to several dealers before I found any.

Back