Komar 1800cc SOHC, Done.

abarth2litre

1800CC SOHC X1/9
After several months of engine building by Komar Competition. The 1800cc arrived at JFK airport on the first week of February 2011 and brought to Auto Tourismo for final completion. Below are photos of the completed engine. We like it.

GEDC0133.jpg

0222011432a.jpg

Last edited:
Looking rather good...

That dizzy... I don't recall seeing a cam mounted base that long before... Is it custom, aftermarket, a modified magneto... or have I just forgotten what they look like?

What kinda hp are you looking to get outta this and how was 1800cc's achieved? I've only seen a slight bore and stroke getting to 1600cc's, is this an even more radical stroke?

Congratulations BTW... enjoy!

Tony that looks like a Tipo head... see the adaptor under the thermo hsg, looks like a tipo block too...

1850cc can be had by using a crank from a later 1600 16v (smaller bore longer stroke version) and 87.0 bore... 1800cc cranks come from a few european tuners too, like Gozzoli

SteveC

how 1800CC's?

I did not achieve anything. I sent money to Komar Competition who designed and built the engine. It is his research and development that made this happen. I did ask and got no answer so I respect his intellectual property. I will post photo's of the internals. Thanks for your interest I hope you like it as much as Ron Jr and I do.

Dizzy?

I bought it from Bayless other than that I think Bernice can answer the questions better then me. As I said before I don't have all the answers on how he got to 1800 and I respect his intellectual property. HP? We just Dyno'd it and I will post the results soon. Warning there are no eye popping HP numbers. David Komar has stressed to me that he prefers torque over HP and that's how he and his customers win races.
I like my torque number very much
GEDC0135.jpg

That dizzy is from a USA spec FIAT strada with Bosch EFI. Plug in compatible with the Bosch EI unit found on the stock exxe and a host of other cars that used this Bosch EI system (VW, Volvo, Porsche, AUDI, and ....)

The cam needs a slot on the end to drive this dizzy. There were also spline drive cam end dizzy version too.

Bernice

That dizzy... I don't recall seeing a cam mounted base that long before... Is it custom, aftermarket, a modified magneto... or have I just forgotten what they look like?

Yeah... I've only seen the slotted versions...

... I just don't remember the housing being that long though.

I love the look and the set-up!

Thanks Steve... and its no wonder now...

... at least for me, why I haven't seen or heard of more 1800's around here. Cranks from 1600 16v engines??? Quite a rarity around here or otherwise I've been living under a proverbial rock... which is easily the case also!

Thanks again!

Wow!

Congrats on a beautiful engine!

I am sure many of us are waiting to see what you think of it in the car! Looks to me like Komar does beautiful work as well. The engraving on the cam cover is fantastic.

I also really like the timing belt cover... I have only seen Red and Yellow before.

Very Nice!

Eric

Cam Cover

Thanks Eric ! Glad you like it. Here are some close ups of the cam cover. We had it powder coated but it was very hard to find someone with a CNC machine that could cut on an angle, Finally Fen Bar in Thornwood NY did the work better then we had hoped

0209011231.jpg
0209011228.jpg

NOW

we're talkin'! And I'm listening. And I can't wait to hear it. Maybe a nice "bap!" instead of a "grunt!" sound, I'll bet.

I'll be tuning in!

I'm with Larry can't wait!

Much respect Ron for resources and dedication going into this project :italia::clap:

many thanks

Thanks very much to you and others Greg. Well, it aint all up to me. I could not do it without the OK of my wife Patty. We have been together for 37 years and when I was dating her she drove a 1965 Sprite. She Has been in the 2 Litre and Ferrari's. She has been to Lime Rock and in the gar as I worked late into the night. She has to approve me spending the family funds and she always supports my idea's. She is a cancer survivor and a mother of 2 great kids. So thanks to her OK we and you guys can enjoy this project. This post will be my last on this thread. But stay tuned for more updates. BTW I plan on bringing the 1,800 to the F 40 open house this spring, if the engine GOD's allow it.
0301011830.jpg

Sorry to steal yur thunder...BUT

Wow I found this today :excited:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYV3qrIhcPY"]YouTube - Fiat x1/9 1800cc Dyno[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCiQCpg0nyo&feature=related"]YouTube - Fiat X1/9 1800cc Dyno2[/ame]

Look, damn it.

Some one has to ask. How much would Santa need to put one under my tree. I'm just guessing at 8K, but I could be way off. I didn't see cost discussed anywhere in the string, and I'm sure everyone must be wondering how much understanding (from their spouse) would be required so that they could get one of their own. Absolutely beautiful, just by the way. -Doug

Back