Komar engine project

abarth2litre

1800CC SOHC X1/9
Eric H asked about piston weight, so I received photo's of piston on scale from Komar Competition. As far as posting the progress of the project, after serious discussions with my family, 3 X web good friends and mr. David Komar we believe that it may be best to wait until the engine is completed to post the assembly process. All parts should be ready for assembly in January and David feels that it should be ready for shipping in Feb. During that time it is best not to pepper him with questions. After the engine is installed Mr. Komar has stated that the first place we will display it is on X web. At that time we will post his email. Currently he is making the close ratio gears that we selected which was necessary to select the proper cam. We are excited and totally confident in the out come of this project and are eager to share the news with with fellow X er's who are interested.
Thanks
Chat in 2 months
Ron and Ron jr.

stockpistonweight.jpg

racingpistonweight.jpg

Wow!

That's a big difference. I'm sure many folks are wondering, are these something Mr. Komar is making? Or is he selling them and the source is "secret"?

What Komar makes and buys

Greg I really don't ask what or where. I am very confident he will do his best to answer all questions after the build. He was quite clear to me on that. I have received private messages about the impetus of the project So for those who are interested here is a brief synopsis. I have been communicating with Mr. Komar for many months and following his successful racing career. Once we got the X breathing very well through the V stacks it started to remind me of an Abarth. So I asked David 'what is the wildest street racer X motor you could build? but keep it "in the brand". What I mean by that is what Chuck Beck taught me was that when modifying a car "always protect the brand"
http://www.beck904.com/
When he made the Shogun he told me he could have put That SHO motor in any Japanese car, hey it was a Japanese engine! But He said it was a Ford product and it had to go into a Ford not matter what. So I believe in that principal and so far it has worked. So back to Komar, I told him I wanted to keep it Fiat X 1/9 no V-8's V-6" or jet engines, it had to be what it is... just the best he could do. Well he came back to me with the design and I loved it until I saw the price. But its only money and I will enjoy it and I sincerely hope other X web-ers will also. If it runs? cause if it don't? I will be sleeping in my tent in my back yard... my wife will make sure of that.

It seems rather odd to be having an engine "built", yet the builder not giving the customer any specific info on what's being done to (or what parts are going into) the engine, nor knowing what sort of power/hp output will result. The phrase "Build me something that's fast!" can (will) often easily turn into a large waste of money without an end-goal in mind or a specific laid-out design/plan on getting to that goal. But perhaps that's just my :2c:

Did this "Mr. Komar" give you a detailed build sheet when he initially told you the cost(s) for this engine? Or are you just handing over a boatload of cash for what he thinks you might want for an engine? Is this a street engine or a full-race engine?

Jeff

it is a race prepared street engine. And yes I have specifics. In order to prevent unrequested commentary during the build process the collective decision is to share the details after the car is running. I am very confident it will run and run fast. X web will be the first place it will be displayed

Jeff, didn't you read the other thread? :)

Hi Jeff,

"two cents" are neither requested nor welcome on this topic.

Just stating a fact.

Exciting....

Abarth.....sounds like an interesting project. The way you are approaching this is more traditional. That is....selecting a reputable builder and 'leaving it to him' and also giving yourself a certain element of surprise at the end. Congrats. This approach is usually reserved for high end jobs and busy customers who actually want to be 'hands off,' should be exciting. Can't wait to see pictures and see video of the finished project.

As far as the 'mystery' component, that's a good thing. When you are dealing with an engine builder who has a fine reputation, you're certainly not going to get poor results because their well-known reputation is at stake and many would know. Also, the customer gets the delight of freshly sampling the finished product unseen for some time. These situations are like Christmas packages for grown men.

Duane

Last edited:
glad

to share the excitment with those who choose. Deep South?
right now we are planning on towing it down to Nashville in July
We will see what the future holds

Back