what's the best way of remove starter motor !

phil

True Classic
hi guy's what's the best way of removing the starter motor !
I really don't' want to remove the cooling hoses if i can !
i need to over haul it because some times i need to tap it to get it to start may be brushes or something ?

above pick -

DSC00025.jpg

below pick -

DSC00027.jpg

With a wrench!

hi guy's what's the best way of removing the starter motor !
I really don't' want to remove the cooling hoses if i can !
i need to over haul it because some times i need to tap it to get it to start may be brushes or something ?

Just kidding! Most all work underneath...
Disconnect the battery.
Remove the plastic shield underneath. (10mm)
Remove the Pos. lead from the starter.
Remove the lead from the starter solenoid. (spade connector)
Remove 3 bolts holding the starter motor and it will drop down. (I believe 13mm)

Reverse procedure for re-install. It's pretty easy. Hardest part is crawling under the car.

Good luck with your repair.

Well Phil... I believe that's its about ten times easier to...

... drop the starter and THEN remove the wiring while it hangs.

(You just need to use some FORCE to pull the starter down between the hose and the block... and again when replacing it.)

I've done this many times over 27 years and that is my experience and preference. On my carbed car, I use a 3/8 drive ratchet wrench, 2 inch extention and a 13mm socket and remove the three bolts from the top. On an FI car, its probably easier to get at the bolts from the bottom.

BTW... in the old 1.0 version (Best Of section) I believe there are some rebuilding tips and possibly some fotos for both the solenoid and the starter. Do let us know if ya run into trouble...

hi black-tooth , yes I was thinking of taking the wires off when its hanging good idea !

thanks phil

Everything is a tight fit on these cars. Just be prepared to have extreme patience. I think my most valuable tool is an air-driven ratchet. It's so much better than trying to work a wrench or regular ratchet back and forth in a tight space.

Combined with the extensions that allow the socket to pivot at an angle, you can do almost anything in seconds!

hi guys , that was easy ! yes the best way is to let it hang and disconnect the wires !
now got to strip and check the brushes ( hope its the brushes ? )

DSC00030.jpg

The brushes in mine were sticking. I cleaned them up and filed the edges just a tad and they moved freely and it's been starting the car fine for months. Look at the solenoid and maybe reversing the contact plate in there to give it new surfaces to contact with.
FWIW
http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/7696/

Last edited by a moderator:
pull off cover from brushes , brushes look fine the commutator looks clean the copper segments are not burnt just fine !
pulled off solenoid I can push the plunger in/out which moves the gear OK the coil housing looks OK , Ill clean it up and put it back together again and bench test it !
is there anything i should look for ? ? ? (as well)

hi jvandyke , thanks for the information I'll check the solenoid again because when i tap the solenoid to get it to work ! (that's before when it was in the car !)

Phil

Last edited:
Great Phil, glad it worked out well for you too...

Do at least turn the solenoid bolts 180 degrees for a new wear surface and usually you can just clean up the copper contact disc inside for another 100,000 miles...

A bit of soldering required... but then you should have an essentially rebuilt starter and solenoid. I'm still using my original from 1979 with 167,000 miles.

Then... with a pair of jumpers... TEST the starter up front in the trunk using the battery. The casing to NEGATIVE battery terminal and the TOP POLE of the solenoid to the POSITIVE terminal. Then hold it down on the trunk floor and using another wire or test clips... jump from the top pole to the FLAT TERMINAL where the RED lead usually connects and spin the starter. The solenoid should engage the gear also.

Sorry Phil... WRONG COLOR... Do it again...

... and use the PROPER colors this time!

HA!

So... it LOOKS GOOD... does it WORK?

You tell'um Dan! By the looks of those colors...

... he was probably just cleaning out his paint cabinet!

There oughtta be a LAW!

HA!

OH MY LORD, Phil... I sure hope you've run out of paint...

How could you do that to a perfectly good looking BLUE car?

And if ya have been following me for any time now... you'd KNOW how much I LOVE these BLUE cars!

Yours even has a CHANCE.. or HAD a chance!

Back