Volvo 740T Oil Cooler in X1/9

lookforjoe

True Classic
Finally got around to making the oil cooler work. I used one of the old style oil-air rather than the later oil-water cooler

Thermostat housing & retaining hollow stud

IMG_1398.jpg

slightly modified hard lines - had to remove the right angle at the flex hose end, so I cut, sleeved & braised the junctions

IMG_1400.jpg

in place

IMG_1401.jpg

isolating clamp

IMG_1405.jpg

flex line junction

IMG_1402.jpg

cooler is mounted over by trans, under expansion tank & charcoal cannister. I may add a small fan to push/pull air through.

IMG_1403.jpg

Needs more Volvo (cowbell).

Nice job of packaging. Keep an eye out for vibration fatigue, you don't want to suffer line failure.

I suspect a fan will be desirable.

Karl

wired a fan into the Aux Air Valve circuit, since I don't have one of those anymore...

IMG_1407.jpg

Function tested...

IMG_1408.jpg

Mounted to oil cooler

IMG_1410.jpg

FYI the thermostat sandwhich open at 90c, and you can remove the UNC fittings and reaplace em with A/N fittings and aluminum seal washers. Its quite the convienent setup and easy to obtain. Also you can cut the crimps off the factory lines to reuse the oddball fittings on that oil cooler. Did that on a few of my volvos when I was relocating thigs :D

Mark

Hi Mark

Thanks for the tip, however it's all good as is - I used all the original lines, just had to shorten the hard lines, the flex lines were perfect as they were. I also had a 960 oil cooler, but that is too long & narrow to fit anywhere on the X.

That cooler and sandwich adapter look just like the Saab parts I've used in the past on similar projects,

have you changed the oil filter to allow clearance for that sandwich?
I have one sitting on the bench and realized my oil filter will no longer fit with it installed.

have you changed the oil filter to allow clearance for that sandwich?
I have one sitting on the bench and realized my oil filter will no longer fit with it installed.

I'm using a Mann filter, but it's the same height as the CarQuest filter I removed. The thing is, if you use the Volvo feed stud (hollow bolt), it will sit further into the T/stat housing (because the Fiat stud is recessed into the block more than the redblock Volvo setup) - so, you have less stud sitting proud of the t/stat housing, and therefore sufficient clearance to angle the filter between the frame & housing - but still plenty of thread depth to properly secure the filter.

ill have to check it out.. i think I just held it up to the location and told myself it will never fit. Ill take another look. Im a bit concerned about the oil temp now that im running a turbo. I was planning to put the cooler in front of the passenger side engine vent. I have the intercooler in front of the driver side vent.

I couldn't see any way of fitting the cooler on the pas side vent area, however, the lines would be much shorter in that location. Probably the one piece flex/hard lines from a 960 would be better adapted than the set of lines from the 700T.

I have the boig wide body so the cooler fits right behind the vent.
It will likely get more air where you have it anyway.

Any pics? Curious what yours looks like.....
of the body kit or the oil cooler parts.. I havent installed them due to the fit issue.

here is some pics of the car, the wide body kit creates about 3" space between the new vent opening and the old, placing the oil coller there with an old rubber door seal fills that gap just about perfect.. I would likely run a fan on it for stop and go traffic.

http://turbo124.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6800&p=64009&hilit=boig#p64009

Back