Tail light Problem After Body Work

Carl W

Daily Driver
Since getting my X back after rear body work, I have tail light/brake light issues. There are two vertically placed bulbs in the tail light assembly. When I hit the brakes, The top bulb lights on one side, the bottom bulb on the other. Vice verse when the tail lights are turned on. The body guy obviously switched something on re-assembly. What's the most obvious solution? Thanks in advance.

You have the answer Carl...

I believe the LEFT side is correct...

Pull both assemblies and STARE and COMPARE. Note the wiring colors as well. I believe is simply swapped the wiring on the bulbs as this would be the easiest to remove and re-install.

Also... you can use YOUR wiring diagram to ascertain the color are correct. If you don't have one... let me know and I can either tell you the colors for your year or guide you to a diagram.

Connection Colors Stamped on Light Housing.

On my '81 the wire color is stamped in Italian on the back of the housing at the connector. Bianco = White Nero = Black Rosso = Red etc. When I got mine back from a body shop they had them all messed up. Hope this helps.

I just so happened to remove my tail lights today so I can repair the buckets, and your experience led me to take a picture or two. I'm posting them here for all to see and enjoy.

lefttail.jpg

righttail.jpg

Are your license plate lights working properly? How about the side marker lights?

There are three circuits involved here:
- The red wire works the brake lights on both sides.
- A yellow-red wire works the left side marker, the left taillight, and the right(!) license plate light.
- a yellow-black wire works the right side marker, the right taillight, and the left(!) license plate light.

I'm putting my money with Tony's diagnosis; switching the red and the yellow/whatever wire at the taillight assembly is by far the most likely explanation.

Back