Belt sizes.....again

jvandyke

True Classic
What is correct for a non A/C car alternator/water pump belt?
This post indicates 33" length
Autozone lists it at 32"
I bought one at Autozone, couldn't get it on, went back for one 1" longer and ran it, now I can't remember any of the numbers. I took off a NAPA 25-8333/7328.
Soooo I want to put the right length on there. I think the NAPA is a 32" judging by the 32 in the last part of the number. If what I put on was a 33", I want to go to a 32". I'm out of tightening travel with whatever is on there now. I can't get a number off it and would love to pick up the "right" belt on the way home.

(after removal, I see it was a Dayco 33")

Last edited:
Belt sizes

Even our vendors provide different-length belts, as do the chain stores.

- All the belts I have in my stash identify themselves in metric: Five digits, three for length in mm and two for width in mm (usually 10). I've gotten belts as small as 815mm and as large as 838mm to work.

- The belt is not too small just because you can't get it on with the alternator moved to the inwards end of its adjustment range. You have to put the belt around the alternator and WP pulleys, then start it on the top of the crank pulley and walk it the rest of the way on by rotating the crankshaft.

Yes, I've read that. The 33" belt that is on there is leaving no room for snugging up though. Not 100% sure it's even too loose. I'll find out soon.

Simple

You should not be able to turn the alternator by hand.

Also, if you're driving in the rain you must have the guard that fits around the axle. If not, water gets thrown on the alternator and you'll have slipping too.

You would know if you did

It has to be removed to do the belt.

My first X was missing this. Every puddle I'd hit with the lights on and wipers going would cause the charge light to glow for several seconds. Problem went away when I installed the guard.

I should hunt one down then. BTW my charge light has never come on despite slipping belts and very low voltage readings (well, low by the factory meter, secondary never gets below 12v).

...32.5 inches

That's got to be close to perfect. 32.5 inches is 825 mm, right in the middle of my "can be made to work" range.

(all bets off if a PO has replaced the alternator or waterpump pulleys, of course).

Well...

...we probably sell about one a day at that size, and haven't had any come back that I am aware of.

...we probably sell about one a day at that size, and haven't had any come back that I am aware of.

I couldn't quite figure out which size you sell. 33"? Probably not a real issue but an easy one to eliminate so I'm putting on a 32"
Haven't figured out the belt cover thing yet either. We're not talking about the cam belt cover right? That I've got. Anyone got an easy picture of it?

(Earlier post indicates Bayless supplies a 32.5" and that is probably perfect)

Last edited:
X is at home, no picture handy

The spash guard covers the opening between the wheel well and the crank pulley, plus the underside of the alternator.

There are three screw holes to mount it on the underside of the unibody (the part that crosses by the crank pulley) plus one more screw hole toward the back below the alternator..

The splash guard is mostly plastic. It has a notch that the axle can go into which is covered with rubber flaps

I had one sitting on the shop floor I could have taken a picture of, but I put it back on the car prior to the very rainy trip up to Mac's memorial.

33" belt and max adjustment I could turn the alternator by hand. Bad.
Put the 32" on. Dayco 15320 Had to use the "walk it on via turning over engine method" which worked a treat, PLENTY of room for tightening now. Belt thickness matters to, no? if it's wider it won't get as deep in the pulley and won't seem as long...did I read that here?.
Anyway. Fit's well, room for adjustment, hoping that was part of my voltage issues.
altbelt.jpg

HAHAHA... which is 32.5 inches... again!

And viewing Jeff's fotos, I'd say that it would probably the PERFECT belt for this application!

Kinda like Tom (BB4RE * Mad Matts) said... They sell one of these a day with no complaints!

Are we "going in circles" here?

And viewing Jeff's fotos, I'd say that it would probably the PERFECT belt for this application!

Kinda like Tom (BB4RE * Mad Matts) said... They sell one of these a day with no complaints!

Are we "going in circles" here?

I agree. 32" has to be walked on or something disassembled for install. 33" can be teased on but doesn't leave much room for tightening. 32.5" probably still needs to be walked on or something removed. I'll carry the 33" as a spare since in an emergency I'd rather not have to fiddle so much to install. This on my car, non A/C with whatever pullies are on it (more than likely all stock stuff). OEM alternator. YMMV. Of course, I've only road tested it 15 miles or so.

Gates 7325 specs for the curious

or just for those with a Mazda RX-2. At least there is an X in the model name. :)

GATES AUTO XL V BELT -- A High Quality Auto XL V Belt

Effective Length: 32.5 in.
Outside Circumference: 33.08 in.
Top Width: 0.41 in.
Warranty: Lifetime Gates limited warranty

This product fits the following Mazda RX-2 submodels

* 1973-1973: Base; 2 Cyl 1.1L;
* 1971-1972: Base; All Engines;

Hello!
Long time lurker finally delurking here. I own two X1/9's and for years my daily driver (1982 Fiat X1/9) alternator belt would squeal during the winter rainy season. About a year and half ago I bought a 1985 Bertone X1/9, and recently I noticed that my 1982 was missing the splash guard under the alternator belt (it actually had the metal part, but bent up, out of the way, by some impatient mechanic long ago -- I don't recall ever seeing it, but I'm the car's third owner). Last week I "borrowed" those parts from my 85 to "donate" to my 82, but before installing them I took some photos, so that I would have something to show people when requesting the parts. I do hope to get replacements for my 85. Below is a picture of the parts that make up the splash guard underneath the alternator belt. Not sure which years these are applicable to, but definitely 1982 thru 1985 non A/C.
-- Hans

x19-alternator-belt-splash-guard.jpg

Well... same for me Jeff... even without...

A/C...

I found the same to be true, either had to walk it on or it was too loose to properly tighten. I believe it's because of a lack of adjustment throw or because one of the pulleys is too deep.

(I found walking it over the crank pulley to be the easiest. Didn't appear to be so, but it was for me!)

Lastly, after converting to the "dark side" with a GM alternator... this is no longer an issue. I carry a spare also but it took a few tries to find the proper belt. I bought three after measuring with a string, one larger and one smaller, then returned two and purchased a spare in the size of the one that worked!

Back