K&N Air filter

Bobr

My Toy
Thinking of putting one on my 81 fi.... Are they worth it. I want to keep this one stock. Thanks ALL! Havin a BLAST Driving this thing......:dance:

i got it

it looks nice, and take less space then the stock air filter.
olso come with a special sound when you push the gas pedal :)
it is not expenceive, so i would say buy it .
have fun !

I removed the stock air box on my FI 1980. I put on the K&N air cleaner that just clamps on the air inlet. Wow, did it open up the engine area by probably at least a cubic foot! It made it really easy to get to the clutch arm, slave cylinder and fuel pump area. If you prefer you can get the one that sits in the original air can.
I know for future car shows I am going to repaint and bring along my original air cleaner for my carbureted 1970 Fiat 124 Spider (which I tried to keep original but ended up putting on headers due to my inability at one time to find the downpipe for my manifold.) It currently wears a BaylessRacing small rectangular free-flow box with clips (the remainder are now available from Midwest Bayless.)

Bob a K&N in any application are worth it

and you will notice a slight better response as well...

Try and get from Amazon.com as I find some cheap deals that way.

I kept mine (stock) for sometime and finally took the can off for repaint but decided to put this straight line, in line airflow K&N on and no reason to go back. Plus 5 minute switcharoo if I want to go back to stock.

Here is this filter from Amazon. Pic in the add is generic model as that # 1380 is what I have with room to spare...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/R-1380-Universal-Rubber-Filter/dp/B00062YNKA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1251668810&sr=8-7"]Amazon.com: K&N R-1380 Universal Rubber Filter: Automotive[/ame]

KN001.jpg

KN002.jpg

Enjoy! Greg

Last edited:
Looking at the one that goes in the stock box

As I said I keeping this one ALL Stock....the K&N E-2350

The K&N E-2350 Doesn't Fit!

Its a 1/4" too tall. Talked to K&N and they are going to get back to me....:wall:

too tall?

Wow, until I ditched my can for the open air filter, I put the 2350 in my can and it fit just fine. I wonder if your can is actually the stock can?

I agree or sent you a wrong filter...

probably not if it has the correct sticker # on the box :hmm:

If you want your in luck I was cleaning today and I have that 2350 filter with the box in mint shape. $10 + shipping if you want...just PM me.

Bummer if your box is not stock as I believe you said you wanted complete stock :)

I just ordered a R-1380 K&N - I had to remove the air can to get to the timing, and I'm certainly not putting that thing back! It's not coming in 'til Friday, and until then, I have a piece of 2.5 aluminum pipe with a silicone coupler aimed at the leftside duct :laugh:

Now I remember...

I took this off years ago but I do remember a hassle to get the wing nut started.

Make sure first the filter is seated in the box as best as you can.
I had a helper press the cover down while I had just barely enough threads to get the nut started on.Once I got it started I used some pliers to slowly turn because your thumb/finger will not be strong enough.

Just be careful... worked for me so Good Luck!

Thats exactly what I ran into

I don't want to wreck the threads on it.....can get about 2 turns.....

Maybe just bum luck that your stem in the box

got machined shorter then others...

You can try and shave with a dremel maybe some of that plastic/rubber material off the K&N (a little off both ends) so it sits deeper but obvious risk of cutting too deep and destroying the filter.And I'm not holding the filter so maybe there is not even enough meat to begin with.

The K&N would make the X breathe better then that cotton type OE anyday...Any vehicle I've owned these oil type filters are superior.

Sorry for the grief you should go for the refund and pull the box IMHO.

Bob... You originally said keep it LOOKING stock...

If you want to keep it ALL stock... then go here:

http://www.fiatplus.com/1980-88-f-i-air-filter-element-c-10591-p-1-pr-286757.html

While yur a it... ask Chris if he can pick up some OEM Pirelli P3s for ya...

I'm sure they will be as disapointing as the OEM filter element...

HA!

BTW... I would not DOUBT for a moment that your stock can is indeed a 1/4 inch too small! I had a hell of a time with speedo cables a few months back and I swear I have the only unique cable SHEATH that initially was two inches shorter than any other X1/9 in the friggin' world!

Continue having fun...

I've experienced this

The K/N filter is indeed 1/4" too big for the stock air filter can.
Mine fit in such a way that the lid was sticking up slightly.

Order the filter shown in Tony's post and it'll fit perfectly. :2c:

Tight fit for sure!

I had the K&N in my car for a while, but prefer the stock element to the K&N, it filters better. Hold the K&N up to the light and you'll see many holes where there is no filter or oil, the stock element doesn't have this problem and is only about $11.

The K&N is tight fit, but the biggest problem I found was it was way too easy to not seat the top and bottom circular lips into the can correctly. And it seems louder, not a quality I prefer in my daily driver.:nod:

Back