Preparing For Dallara Body Kit

Thinking about space around tail lamps while sitting at the Car Show today

as is
X19_0278.jpg

photoshop - rounding out the space to match the Hella lamps

X19_0278a.jpg

Last edited:
Started cutting away the front this afternoon after work. A little tricky as I had the Serpent Auto Spoiler bonded over the existing fenders rather than cutting them away way back when...

gonna cut 2" down from top edge, and 3" from back edge, based on Matt's pics, fibreglass panel is mounted approx 1" down from top edge. Trim further if needed.
DallaraWheelArches00023.jpg

DallaraWheelArches00041.jpg

marker line is cut line

figuring out whether panel is intended to fit flush with back edge

DallaraFrontFender00048.jpg

or set forward a touch

DallaraFrontFender00049.jpg

difference is in how far the front needs to protrude - inner curve up close to original panel

DallaraFrontFender00004.jpg

or about an inch or so forward...

Dallara_Front_Fender00003.jpg

Last edited:
You sir have a pair of brass balls.

Dang, cutting up a perfectly good car, yowza!

Quite a start. Thanks for bringing us along.

Thanks guys. I consider this kind of work fun, but I don't do it for a living. Problem solving is enjoyable :)

Personally I quite like how the line made by the side of the spoiler follows through past the tail light.

Yes - I think I will leave it - I'm probably going to paint the ducktail backside black to flow in with that panel. The other option would not be straightforward.

After work today, I cut the rest of the fender out, again based on Matt's pics. Cut another inch off the rear vertical after taking these pics. Found out yesterday I was bitten by a Lyme tic, and the meds are making me nauseus, and I don't feel that energetic....

Dallara_Front_Fender00003.jpg

DallaraFrontFender00010.jpg

preliminary hanging - this was 3rd go - I had to set the rear edge with the actual fender edge or the front edge sat way to far forward - it's still not right, IMO. The recess aligns OK with the door, though.

Dallara_Front_Fender00006.jpg

Dallara_Front_Fender00020.jpg

both panels are distorted - probably from being stored in my very hot garage attic for over a year now.

DallaraFrontFender00007.jpg

DallaraFrontFender00035.jpg

I pressed the top forward edge as far down as possible, and used a heavier self drilling screw in that location. The bottoms of both forward fender sections where it leads into the spoiler curve inward significantly, and will not align with the upper nose panel or the 'spoiler'

I stuck blocks of wood in the underside front to push the lower edge outward, and used c-clamps & vise grips to start pulling the panels into alignment with the spoiler section. I may end end adding a 1/2" "U" channel on each side, to push the lower edge forward of the tire further out - it feels a little "pinched" right now.

Dallara_Nose00018.jpg

Dallara_Nose00063.jpg

Not sure yet how to resolve the nose piece - it looks like either the lower front panel lip will have to but cut off, or a large V cut into the fiberglass panel

Dallara_Nose00024.jpg

To get the tips set back further, I will need to cut the back ends off the fenders to allow it.

Dallara_Nose00064.jpg

I don't think that is a good idea, as I only have 2" between the fender inner lip and the leading edge of the tire.

(pic gone)

Not overly concerned, as I'm getting rid of the popups anyway, so reworking the front panel isn't that bad of a proposition (EDIT - or so I thought :D).

I still have to shave /feather the inside of the fenders where they will be bonded, and figure out whether it makes sense to step the sheet metal to recess the fender edge. It seems problematic otherwise, I will have a fender top line that won't match the doors and rear fenders...

Last edited:
Once I bonded the spoiler to the fender skirts, the skirts pushed out by the forward wheel arch, so no widening of the skirt/spoiler intersection was necessary.

Dallara_Nose00059.jpg

the vertical connections will not align, so I'll have to fill that.

Dallara_Front_Spoiler00006.jpg

cut vertical lines where the popups used to meet the forward nose panel. Those will be replaced with solid panels.

Dallara_Nose00029.jpg

added 3/4" angle aluminum stock to supply support for the nose panel

Dallara_Nose00028.jpg

side view

Dallara_Nose00107.jpg

The transition from nose to fiberglass panel should be OK
DallaraNose00016.jpg

The corner ends need resolving - the fender tip does not line up with the contour of the nose panel. I will try cutting the actual fender back to pull the fender tip in & downward to align with the nose panel. EDIT: looking at Matt's pics, the front fender sheet metal is notched to allow for the new inner fender contour - I believe that if I notch it now that will allow the front section to pull in that extra 1/3 - 1/2" I need to make the fender meet the nose panel without excess tension. The thickness of the stock panel & the inner liner is keeping the added panel from coming together as needed. I'll try that.

DallaraNose00105.jpg

Dallara_Nose00054.jpg

Dallara_Nose00036.jpg

Once I have those bonded, I will cut out the side marker inserts & drop them to allow the headlamps to sit just below the nose line.

Last edited:
Looking really incredible! :)

I don't know that I'd have the balls to cut away body panels like you've done.

Thanks. :)

The first cut is always the hard one. Since I have done the cutting of perfectly good sheet metal before, I don't have any qualms about it now.

On my Volvo, I did multiple hood vents & Aerocatch latches over a couple years

V70XR_0077.jpg

Last edited:
Enjoying reading your thread

Following your coilover build closely and enjoying your ideas and process. Also saw the pic of the hood latches on your Volvo. Where did you get those?

Yes, the catches are Aerocatch. I opted for the lockable version.

They may be too deep to fit - I think you would have to put them where the safety pins come up into the hood frame.

Took the fenders & nose sections back off & bonded the nose panel in place. While that was setting, I started grinding back the steel remnant.

I cut off the curved lip off the stock nose lower seam - it was interfering with the nose panel fitment.

Dallara_Nose00110.jpg

Dallara_Nose00110a.jpg

with that, the nose panel tucks in closer to the nose

Dallara_Nose00008.jpg

Dallara_Nose00104.jpg

Dallara_Nose00019.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll remove the nose again & work on bonding the angle aluminum stock to the nose, and the aluminum reinforcements to the back side of the nose/spoiler/fender that I want in place to add additional tie in to the exisiting structure.

Last edited:
Quick photoshop job to look at headlamp cutout placement

EDIT: Link to ProtoTipo / Dallara style headlamp conversions

left side would be cut at the top of the directional cutout, right side along the centerline of the cutout.

Dallara_Nose00075.jpg

EDIT: Maxmods' Dallara - discussion of nose treatment follows

sub-zeroil's Dallara

get rid ofthe gap it like that :)

i think i have 500+- hr into it when i started i had gaps all over , foam will help alot , make sure the car is lavel on all 4 wheels in the air it helps too , and panal bonding will help you too and will not crack like the bondo !

( OT from Maxmods' thread) - what was used for the headlamp surrounds on yours?

Last edited:
Back