making lever knobs

jvandyke

True Classic
Last night I broke two of my (non A/C) heater control lever knobs. I was so careful for years but it was just too darn cold out there, should have stopped and broke out the hair dryer but didn't.
So I'm thinking of trying some sort of casting to reproduce them, not just for me but for other hamfisted Xers. Looking for ideas for how/what to use to try and recast them in plastic, or better a flexible version of plastic! I'm thinking clear so I can light them, then black out what I don't want lit, but also just making straight black for every one else. Ricardo would know methinks.

Last edited:
This kind of thing I would think would be a good 3D printer kind of project.

I was working another X related 3D printing project but could not get a designer to do the CAD work for anywhere close to break-even money.

No kidding, perfect for that. I would love to get one, the $$ is dropping fast. I did a little research, certainly doable if one REALLY wants too, not sure I do yet or not.

I joined a local maker community and they have a printer I can use. Anyone have CAD files?

Cheers for the link from my thread. Keep me posted. When it gets a bit warmer in Blighty l intend on taking a trip to my local scrappy and see if there is anything there that might work. I've got to take my eyes of my mk2 Golf. Sure those lever knobs might work b

He has used ones only, I just bought one of them from him to replace the missing cold air lever.

I'd be game for a new set, especially if they were the 1974 style :)

Times are upon us were we can create and share our own parts. I have no doubt we'll be cranking out some of these simple things in the next year. I'm 90% these can be molded, but far better to print them I would think.

lever knobs

Hi,

I didn't decide to make it yet because I need to invest $$ and time to reproduce this little thing, ask to Matt www.midwest-bayless.com he still have a bunch of those lever knobs (this is other reason to wait to make it) and isn't pricey.

This is a 75-78 part, call him, surely he have some.

fiat-heaterknob-75-78-double-used.jpg

I usually start some little project like this when I need it myself. I pay for all the process and production because I need it! but in this case I have a some on my spare box yet.

Regards.

What I did so far was take some 100% silicone caulk and mold it around one of my knobs, made a pretty good impression but not good enough to capture it all, especially the cavity. "Real" silicone molding stuff should work alright. Not sure if fiberglass resin is decent enough material to use but if not, plenty of specific stuff out there but I agree, if decent enough used ones are available, why bother? In my case I'd like to make some clear ones to shine light through, otherwise I wouldn't bother. Besides it's a fun winter project and we're getting hammered again with snow and cold, what else is a guy to do?

here is the information

What I did so far was take some 100% silicone caulk and mold it around one of my knobs, made a pretty good impression but not good enough to capture it all, especially the cavity. "Real" silicone molding stuff should work alright. Not sure if fiberglass resin is decent enough material to use but if not, plenty of specific stuff out there but I agree, if decent enough used ones are available, why bother? In my case I'd like to make some clear ones to shine light through, otherwise I wouldn't bother. Besides it's a fun winter project and we're getting hammered again with snow and cold, what else is a guy to do?

http://www.smooth-on.com/

To make your project you'll need to spend around 100.00 +

http://www.smooth-on.com/Brush-On-Silicone-/c1218/index.html?catdepth=1

to this price + de-mould spray 15.00/ clear plastic if desire and s&h

Regards

Ricardo

Last edited:
Thinking of reinforcing knob shafts with a metal sleeve with epoxied ends, or fiberglass wrap? or just a wire coated in resin? There's not a ton of room to work with as they have to fit through the slot but a thin metal band wrapped around with the ends overlapped and epoxied would seem to keep them together. Then I wonder about filing down the "ramp" on the lever for easier future release, the peril is making the knobs too loose of course.
knobwrap_zps30a6ef43.jpg

(Photo borrowed from Midwest Bayless (a few years back I believe)

the easy way

Thinking of reinforcing knob shafts with a metal sleeve with epoxied ends, or fiberglass wrap? or just a wire coated in resin? There's not a ton of room to work with as they have to fit through the slot but a thin metal band wrapped around with the ends overlapped and epoxied would seem to keep them together. Then I wonder about filing down the "ramp" on the lever for easier future release, the peril is making the knobs too loose of course.
knobwrap_zps30a6ef43.jpg

(Photo borrowed from Midwest Bayless (a few years back I believe)

You can grind the little clips on the control lever, I did and leave just a little bit to keep on it's position just add a drop of blue treadlocker, the day when you need to pull out will be easy. :2c:

heater.lever.middle.jpg

We Vanagon owners have similar problems, and one helpful solution is to slot the back end of the knobs 90º from the existing slot, this allows the knob parts to flex a bit more during removal and installation.

You can grind the little clips on the control lever, I did and leave just a little bit to keep on it's position just add a drop of blue treadlocker, the day when you need to pull out will be easy. :2c:

heater.lever.middle.jpg

That is exactly what I intend to do when I find some decent replacements. For a Fiat it's a stupid design.

I had to strip down my Golf dashboard. All the levers came off with no problem. Good ole Volkswagen :)

I did cut some tin from a pop can (soda can for some of you). Used epoxy to glue it as a wrap around the whole knob shaft, that and filing down the ramps on the lever a tad should do it, I hope. I'm still going to try to cast some though.

I don't think you can get anything better than blu-tac to hold them one once the ramp has been filed down a little. I'd go as far to say that it's the BEST invention this side of sliced bread.

Some blue it is then, when they crack they are loose though, now they should be nice and tight again, haven't checked yet.

acquired a 3d printer (not mine but I'm in charge) testing for Fiat parts is getting closer! Have to build a model of a knob or something and have at it.

Back