DCNVA float settings

Rodgher

1978 with 1500 5 speed
I have a pair of 36 DCNVA. These are similar to a DCNF but have a strangler choke on top (I don't have them...) rather than the DNCF starting device, otherwise pretty much the same I think.

These are on a pretty standard (at the moment) 1500

I've seen reference to the float height being 42mm / 52mm for a DCNVA where as a DCNF is 48 /58.

Really love to know which it should be!

Re: DCNVA

You might check around for the carb specs for a Maserati Biturbo, which featured the 36DCNVH (with "strangler-type" choke on top).

Last edited:
Actually (from memory) the maserati biturbo uses a DCA carb, which has a water heated choke assembly, volumex engines also use a water heated DCA variant.

DCNVA was actually fitted to some french simca as standard, but even then there are several suffix codes (usually numbers) that follow the DCNVA nomeclature, if you can let me know those I might be able to find you the info in my weber bible (the factory spec book that's about 500 pages thick)

Stick the strangler flaps back in, the flow loss with them fitted is so minimal, and they make cold starts soooo much easier.

edit: just did a google on dcnva weber and got this hit...
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Matra_Murena_1.6_Weber_36_DCNVA_carburetor.jpg
matra is part of the simca group...

next google hit was this...
http://www.euronet.nl/~wilaben/adjusting_weber.html
and it looks like 42.5/52 is the winner

SteveC

Last edited:
Actually (from memory) the maserati biturbo uses a DCA carb, which has a water heated choke assembly, volumex engines also use a water heated DCA variant.

The Maserati Biturbo does indeed use the 36DCNVH, not the DCNVA. I've nabbed at least a dozen of these carbs over the years from junkyard Biturbo cars - they're a good "Poor Man's DCNF substitute". :grin:

Last edited:
Thanks Steve

I don't have the strangler flaps... car came without them. Yes, cold starts are a fine balance of priming pumps on the throttle and biting my lip.

The description on the back of the float bowl is 36 DCNVA 11 100 8k and the other carb is 36 DCNVA 2/100 7k (or 7R). (I'm hoping the different numbers just means one was made on Friday, the other Monday).

Hopefully your 500 page bible has the goods.

Cheers

Pretty sure the codes will be 36dcnva 1/100 and 36dcnva 2/100 (the 7k and 8k are often the batch numbers) which means they are a matched pair, so that's good... the 1/100 and 2/100 usually means the linkage assmbly will be different left and right...for balance adjustment

Unfortunately, I won't have the specific info your looking for, as my bible is for Italian cars only, and these appear to be the standard twin carbs fitted to talbot / simca matra / murena / bagheera models (french car)

Pretty sure you'll be able to search the web and find the answer... my bet woud be on 48.5 /52, and it should be able to tell you what the stock jetting and chokes was / is, as this would depend on the engine capacity (1.6 or 2.2 litre)

Google is your friend, or maybe find a simca / matra forum and ask there...

SteveC

Back