...Another Midwest-Bayless K20 conversion

Spring is right around the corner, just in time to unveil our latest K20 conversion.

A 1976 with K20Z1 / 6Spd trans from an 05-06 Acura RSX-S.

This motor has a Hondata KPro ECU and puts out about 240HP normally aspirated.

The car features fresh all-over exterior finish in original color, Midwest-Bayless blade-style bumper conversion, KONIs, Sway Bar, WHOA Brakes and Panasport 14" wheels, among other things.

What a hoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9WE4pNzABE&feature=youtu.be

1976-X-K20-a.jpg

1976-X-K20-b.jpg

1976-X-K20-c.jpg

1976-X-K20-d.jpg

1976-X-K20-e.jpg

1976-X-K20-f.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, man!!

That is so AWESOME!!!
I need to quit futzing with my short term projects and get going on my conversion! This is so inspiring and beautiful and amazing. You guys do SUCH a GREAT job! :thumbsup:
:worship::worship::worship:
:love::love::love:

You could fit it under the 1300-style engine cover? Excellent... I've always thought that the 1300 engine cover looked better.

Two questions:
1) Where did you end up locating the motor mounts?
2) Would the early '74-'75 low engine cover have worked?

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally awesome car! :eyepop:

I'm gunna stick with our mods of a Fiat engine, but if I had a second Exie... :hmm:

Nice work Matt

Very nice Matt. One of these days I will have to get one of those. :)

Awesome car and build quality.
I'll be next in line when I figure out how to get our DMW to accept the small increase in HP :confuse2:

All I can do is....

Droooooool!! Great job Matt.

BTW, I just sent my FI to you for a refurbish. I am hoping to pull the head this week and send it to you for the performance upgrade. Talk to you soon!!!

Very Nice!

Great job Matt, looks fantastic. Did you leave the stock fuel tank in place? Looks like it... Can you tell us about the corner weights after the conversion?
Mike Hynes
Two 124 Spiders
Lots of X1/9s

Corner Weights

Hi Mike,

Below is a shot of the weights taken on a 1987 X19 K20 conversion we did. This car's coach was left completely stock, including original bumpers, air conditioning, 10" brakes up front, and front sway bar.

Pretty nice balance for a street car.

whitstone-after-weight.jpg

-M

Kits...

Yes, kits are available, but I have to warn ahead of time that even with our pieces, this is NOT a bolt-in solution that you can do in your garage with hand tools.

You will be required to perform a lot of cutting, welding, and gusseting in the engine bay, along with some custom cooling, clutch line, and brake line relocation. Fabrication skills and tools are required, although the mods, in total, I believe are fewer than than most any other engine swap.

Our Stage 1 kit is listed below:

http://www.midwest-bayless.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=208227&c=0&i=274106312

The components in this kit are the ones that are the hardest to fabricate correctly, and we began offering them only after doing four complete in-house builds to assure the correct designs. The kit will save hundreds of hours of head scratching and trial/error, and include a bulletproof pair of custom axles.

If a kit is purchased, we will provide access to a library of photos showing all aspects of the cuts, mods and fab required, however, it is not a step-by-step set of instructions, and we cannot offer detailed tech support during your build.

We will be offering Stage 2 / Stage 3 add-ons to solve some of the additional issues mentioned above, over time. These additional kits will offer solutions such as the throttle body extension, enlarged access panel / box in the spare tire well, and thermostat housing / piping, for those who want to maintain stock chassis appearance.

Some of these solutions are not necessary if the car is an autocross or race car that can use alternate fuel tank location, coolant lines through the interior of the car, removal / relocation of the forward engine firewall, etc.

-M

Last edited:
Nothing less than an awesome kit -

But that's what we've come to expect from you Matt! :thumbsup:

Maybe one of these days..... :nod:

Is that acceleration figure correct?

The caption in the video says 0-100 mph in 14 seconds. I think that's too high for a just over 2000 lb. car with 240 hp on tap. That X1/9 looks like its about to go sub-orbital. Some comparative examples, which make me believe the time is lower. http://sportscarforums.com/f13/0-100-mph-29441.html

Are there any other figures out there for these conversions?

Last edited:
14 seconds....

In all fairness, you are correct that it is likely a lot quicker 0-100 than what I demonstrated.

The car is running 185 series tires and you can hear a lot of spin in 1st/2nd. Plus, it's a significant ramp that I'm heading up.

With 225 tires, a dragstrip quality 60 foot launch patch, and perfectly flat, you're right, it will probably be lower.

-M

And a different computer confirms what you said

The laptop I played the video on first doesn't have functioning audio. Now that I've heard the audio, you're not kidding, there's ALOT of wheel spin there. You must have destroyed those 185's!

Well worth the price...

Imagine the look on the face of an Alfa Romero 4c owner when a 76 X-1/9 blows his brand new doors off!

priceless....:nod:

When I hit the lottery, Matt will be my first call...

Back