Alfa 164

Working for a franchised Alfa dealer as a Service Manager when 164's were introduced to North America I attended technical training at Alfa's new HQ in Orlando. 164S's had yet to be formally introduced however there was a Quadrifiglio in the corner of the workshop with a "blown-up" transaxle, apparently it let go while on loan to Road & Track. Shortly after that episode there was training specifically related to transaxles. I also remember the head of training, Jeff Childress, stating never to raise a 164 that had the engine / transaxle / subframe removed without the factory strut brace in place...the monocoque tended to twist without it and windshield's had been know to stress crack. They were problematic cars and a far cry from 115's. A lovely driving, if big, car however.....Reading Dnudelman's posts brought back many (unfortunate) memories!
Ahh yes, the good old days at Gran Prix Motors, Flaviaman was the parts guy, the service manager, and the sales guy, all at the same time. The owner liked to sit in his office and read Road & Track. After he made me a very good deal on the 1991 B, I was very happy but failed to notice that he drove BMWs and Audi's Hmmm, smart guy. You should let the folks know about your Giulia experience.

My Giulia is great. No real issues, a couple of software updates and some repeated o ring issues on the turbo cooling. A great car and really reliable but I’m an analog kind of guy and there’s just too much that I can’t deal with without software and hardware. I’ve used a lot of old school cars as daily drivers ( Ferrari, Lancia, Saab, Lotus, Jensen, etc. ) so let’s see how this works out. If it turns out to be a big mistake after I sell the Giulia, I still have my wife’s C320 Mercedes as a backup and there’s another 25k plus in the Mopar extended warranty for any buyer of the Giulia so hopefully will sell quickly. I’m hoping the 164 works out though, it’s a very cool car.

That is because I have an 850 Sport Coupe that I am extremely fond of….and a few other Italian cars.

Me too!
1692129343625.png

The 164S arrived last Sunday late so wasn’t able to clean it up and drive it until this weekend. Runs strong but need to go through some grounds and connectors. Neat car.
DE6BED7D-0A66-4892-AB80-B60DE6C72727.jpeg
C2C3550F-9065-4838-A222-ADEFCEDEB006.jpeg
26B9E0B4-28AF-46F5-BA39-559491F10A4C.jpeg
CFF8A7D8-1942-44D8-A384-2D37D4AA01A0.jpeg

That has to be one of the best preserved examples in the country, glad to see it is as nice as it looked in the ad. Can't wait to hear how it works out.

Back