Hi all, I'm back

RacerRon

True Classic
Haven't been on here in a few years. Been autocrossing a pair of Miatas (one belongs to my son). Haven't done anything to my '86 X I picked up in 2011. I now want to put this car back on the road or a make it into an autocross car (FSP).

I started taking off the fuel injection to replace the fuel lines and take the injectors out so I can send them to be cleaned and checked. But, one of the allen head bolts it giving me fits. Looks like a PO tried to remove one the allen head bolts because the head is rounded off inside and I can't get a grip on it. I even tried jamming a torx socket in it to see if that would work, to no avail. Can't put any heat on it because of all the plastic around it. Haven't tried an easy-out yet. I don't want to try drilling it out because I might get metal shavings into the engine. Anybody have any ideas?

Hi Ron,

If you can't get a hold of it to turn it out the easy solution is to drill the head off and remove the injector. Then you can probably access the remaining shank and turn it out with a pair of vise grips.

I don't remember the cost but bayless has replacement intakes for not that much. (cut the head off the bolt, if you can't remove the stub just replace the intake runner)

(as a last resort that is)

Thanks Steve and Rod. I also tried turning the head with vice grips but it would not budge. I might end up doing what Steve suggested. Working on a 30-year old car is fun, fun, fun.

Ron, just pull the intake, its not that big a deal. That will keep the metal out of the motor and make it easier to get to.

If you can't get the shank out used intakes are easy enough to find. Also, I have a nicely ported (flow benched) intake manifold setup for a stand alone FI system for sale. It was used on an earlier DSP autocross car of mine.

Nice to see you back and to hear you are going to run the car in FSP.

I started removing the nuts on the manifold but they're not making it easy for me.

I'm in the early stages of rebuilding this car, so i will keep the ported intakes you have in mind. Will eventually pull the engine. First time working on the FI engines.

I think the X will be competitive in FSP, but hardly anyone is running them anymore. That class has a really low PAX index. A guy I used to run against in the 80's is still competing in an old CRX in FSP and is beating everyone in the PAX at our local autocrosses.

I stopped running in CSP before Jim Susko, you, and others started running the FI setup. Only got back into autocrossing 3 years ago because my son was interested. He had never even seen an X/19 before!

Finally got the intake manifold off with the reluctant fuel injector screw. With the manifold on my bench vice I was able to get the screw loose by clamping the allen-head very tightly with vice-grips.

My son attends an automotive school, so he was able to take the injectors to be cleaned and tested. All the injectors passed at all RPMs.
Now I forgot where the black-tipped and orange-tipped injectors go.

Sorry, Photobucket couldn't rotate the image.
http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/racerron1/media/fuel%20injector%20testing%20816x1089_zpsx0p2wdtt.jpg.html

So Ron...

So Ron... did you really mean to admit you have a screw loose.
:devil: :) :devil: :)

Isn't it nice to have Xweb back up?? :thumbsup:

Back